KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 625 is slightly more balls out, but in real world driving (12 miles each way) how much difference would you notice?

What are the key differences?

Kev

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The 625 does,nt have a Balancer Shaft, so slow speed vibes are the big difference. Around town commuting at low speed the 625 gives ya mental eyeball vibration and numb hands, whereas the LC4 640 feels much softer, in my experience:)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I know the 625 is slightly more balls out, but in real world driving (12 miles each way) how much difference would you notice?

What are the key differences?

Kev
Maybe the smile on your face and the fact that ownership of a 625 makes you a member of a more exclusive club - 640's are much more common. On a 12 mile journey the tyres will hardly have warmed up (if its through urban traffic) so your question is maybe a tad academic?

If commuting on it - you will find the 625 slightly more punchy - assuming that it ain't well past its sell by date - which most of them are by now. If you can find a mint 625 in OEM spec or with the sensible mods (incl Akro) - then its worth pursuing. Unfortunately many of 625's & 640's have been owned and maintained by numpty teenagers with two left hands and wearing welding goggles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove two yesterday, one much more vibration than the other. Same age though.

One had 5k on the clock the other 15k. The 5k one owned by a teenager, quite a few mods & spotless and the other not owned by a teenager and only mod was a luggage rack, a remus system and about 2 years worth of built up road dirt.

Both pulled well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The 625 does,nt have a Balancer Shaft, so slow speed vibes are the big difference. Around town commuting at low speed the 625 gives ya mental eyeball vibration and numb hands, whereas the LC4 640 feels much softer, in my experience:)
625 does have a balancer shaft, the difference between a 640 and 625 is just the smaller tank, Keihin carb and SXC end can for pre 05 models.

So not really more "balls out"

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Just remember to check all the usual places for damage - if actually purchasing. Headstock bearings notched from hard landings (practicing wheelies), warped front disc, shot fork seals, rear shock with linkage poorly maintained, rear subrame cracked from overweight telly-tubby rider (and pillion) - very common and easily sorted. Engine doesn't like being thrashed from cold and valve clearances must be set on a stone cold engine (every 3000 miles at most), loves regular oil changes and both filters replaced (and lube system properly bled after filling - so beware of home mechanics). Very crude bikes compared to new 690 models but capable of delivering huge smiles. Also be aware that the bike can be slid down the tarmac with very little damage (benefit of a strong frame designed with an off-road heritage) and the orange plastics are a lot cheaper to replace than the shiny 'prestige' model versions. If the bike has an after-market exhaust, carb needle changed and the air box mod - look for a dyno cert or who knows what awful performance and reliability problems might be awaiting. The setting of the chain is often a good indicator of the quality of servicing - non-KTM muppets always set them too tight - like a road bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some great advice here, so widening my search out to a 640 is not such a bad idea?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
...looking for a 640 at the same time isn't a bad idea at all. My Duke (640) is a great laugh and I only ever see it's shortfalls when I need to cover long distances....99.9% of the time it's all positives and stupid grins :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Some great advice here, so widening my search out to a 640 is not such a bad idea?
If you buy a 640 you'll only end up making it a 625 :rolleyes:

like most others do :smokin:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
625, 640, 660 or Duke II - I'd just buy the best condition one that you can source for your budget - unless you absolutely need an electric start or hate the looks of a particular model.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If you buy a 640 and never ride a 625 or 660, you will never know what your missing out on. Works for me. lol

But seriously, I've been too busy enjoying my 640 to feel like I'm missing out on anything. Sometimes I wish it was lighter.. But not 2 or 3 kg lighter, more like get a track bike for the weekends sort of lighter. And if the fuel tank was any smaller, I would find that an inconveniance. I rate it as a fun and practical road bike.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There is £1250 off the price of 2010 690 SMC's at the moment, why not whack a bit on finance?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
There is £1250 off the price of 2010 690 SMC's at the moment, why not whack a bit on finance?
Yip it's that time of the year (happens regular as clockwork) when KTM need to clear out their stocks of unsold bikes ...... and every year some muppets still insist on paying full list price!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts