KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting another SM after a few years on a GSXR1000. I used to have an XR650R and really miss the fun of riding a supermoto.

I quite fancy a 660 SMC and I've found a 2006 model for sale locally. Is there anything I should look out for? Any common problems? I believe it's kick start only. Will it be as much of a **** to start as my Honda was and does it need an oil change every few hundred miles to keep it running nice?

Also, will I regret swapping? Please be honest even though this is a KTM forum...if it'll be a problem I might just keep both. :redface:

It'll mostly be used for sunday blasts and the odd track day (realistically only one or two a year to start with)

Any info would be great!

TK

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi.
Just buy a good one.

It's a kick only but it's easy to start with the right technic and if the bike has been serviced well.

I chance my oils about every 1000km-2000km but you can chance it later if you drive it gently.
It has about 2,1 litres of oil in it so there is more oil than your XR650R has. So you don't have to chance it so often and if you use good oil in it. I use Motorex 10/60.

My bike has about 21000 kilometres on the clock and I had only one problem in it. Exhaust rocker split in half when it had about 4200km on the clock and nothing else happened back then.
But if you use it right it will last longer than your Honda(maybe) :)
It's not bulletproof like your gixxer but more fun... :)

However it may be a little under powered in stock but if you buy akra pipes or else and chance the jets it will be fun after that.

And if you gonna keep them both I'll bet that your gixxer will be on the garage most of the time... :)

JHV

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
moz660 is selling one on here all the bling and starts easy dunno if he near you worth a looky . xr650s are one of the easiest singles to start so your might of had issues or you didnt usethe knack to start it? totaly diferent to the xr too MUCH faster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! There are two very low milage examples near me. One is standard and in a dealer, the other has some nice bling but it's private and has a few more miles on it (both look very clean though). So I'll have a look and see which looks like the best one. Anything to look out for?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I'd suggest spending a day at the Museum of Industrial Archaeology if you want to learn about ye olde worlde technology.

Words like agricultural, crude, noisey, harshness and vibration come to mind - with a lot of fun if used for short rides.

There are hunners and hunners of postings about the 625, 640 and 660 models - all the common problems have been posted again and again and ............................ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'd suggest spending a day at the Museum of Industrial Archaeology if you want to learn about ye olde worlde technology.

Words like agricultural, crude, noisey, harshness and vibration come to mind - with a lot of fun if used for short rides.

There are hunners and hunners of postings about the 625, 640 and 660 models - all the common problems have been posted again and again and ............................ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
heard this lots too zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!:dozey:

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you keep the gixxer it will just gather dust unless your going on long journeys, the 660`s are gr8 fun altho bit vibby, don`t have ne regrets about buying mine always gets me where ever i`m going with a stuppid grin on my face, kick start easy once you get the hang of it (it might be a help if you live near ne one who can show you how to start them) i managed to get 1 that had a few aftermarket parts from new by a dealer but very easy bikes to work on so dont be put off by self modded bikes as long as theyre done buy someone who knows what theyre doing, if you get chance of getting one off this forum i`d give it some serious thought, decend bunch on hear

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy one. They are about as old fashioned as supermoto,s go. Look at the other more advanced KTM,s.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I admit maybe the 660 is getting a bit long in the tooth and i havent had a go on ne of the newer KTM`s yet altho i did test ride a new aprillia dorsoduo thing, 750 v twin with 92bhp, thought i was gona fall in love and have to sign up for one but not a chance, wouldnt swap my 660 for it if they offered, it didnt have ne thing like the grunt of my bike. i was thougholy disapointed with the aprilia but it did leave me feeling so much better about my own bike, they may be getting a bit old but i love mine to bit`s it always gets me wherever i`m going with a huge stupid grin leaves everything at the lights (2 or 4 wheels) and wheelies like nothing else, if your on a budget dont rule these out, someone may have alot more money to spend on something newer so you might be able to pick up a bargain!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts