KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

when you go to pull in the clutch on my 660, the lever has about 5-10mm of play before starting to resist and disengage. It often takes a few tries to shift into first gear and occasionally the bike will lurch forward slightly and stall out when it goes into first, but there doesn't appear to be any binding or creeping when sat in gear with the clutch in. Also, after a few miles of riding the clutch lever doesn't seem return as far once released, this goes back to normal when the engine's allowed to cool down.:confused:

I was wondering if maybe the pushrod is in need of adjustment, I've read that they need tweaking over time.
The fluid is brand new and I'm confident there's no air in the system.
If I was to adjust the pushrod, which way would it need turned in order to take up the slack in the clutch lever?

Advice very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
31,406 Posts
It needs bleeding. Pump some fresh oil (fork oil, ATF etc NOT brake fluid) up from the slave to the master with a syringe.

·
Premium Member
31,406 Posts
You can try.

After all, the kickstart and chain are on the wrong side so bleeding it upside down just might work!

·
Registered
209 Posts
From your description, especially the later part, your slave cylinder is on the way out. If you replace it i would recommend you get the oberon made replacement and no, i don't work for them. Also check your gear lever position, its very easy to have it set too low so that when trying to engage first (and only first) the lever will foul the footrest bracket.

·
Registered
263 Posts
PPW, you do know there's an adjuster on the lever as well (if you have the standard levers)? The little red screw that goes into the master cylinder piston.
You'll get 10 times better results bleeding up the way with a syringe and loose less fluid in the process. it's also easier to see what you're doing.
As mentioned - worth checking if your slave is on the way out. I bought a seal kit for mine then when I opened it up the slave piston had a good rub on it - so I ended up sticking an Oberon on.
Probably still have a slave seal somewhere and a syringe if you're stuck.

hopefully just air though - doesn't take much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts