KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
got back from a ride recently and notice one drop of oil under the bike the next morning. Searched around and couldn't find any obvious external leaks, took off the alternator cover and found a small pool of oil inside. I checked behind the flywheel with a torch and the bottom of the bright red/pink crank seal was coated with oil! Bugger!

Any pointers on how to replace this seal? Will I be able to remove and replace without tearing into the bike or will it need major surgery?

Any input very much appreciated!

PaprWeight

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
It'll probably pop out if you can get some leverage on it. Be careful not to score the bore with whatever you're using to get the old seal out. I've never done it on that particular bike, but most can be done with the casing in place.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was thinking it'd probably be possible to get to the seal just be removing the flywheel. Drill 2 small holes and use a slide hammer to get the old seal out?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I've never had much luck trying that way. Somebody on here will pipe in with the best way to do it. They're not in tight, so it will come out quite easily once you get hold of it somehow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts