KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This has probably been asked a bunch of times but here goes anyway.
I'm having trouble getting my 660 to wheelie in 3rd gear. Gearing is 16/38, stock headers with Sebring silencer, opened airbox and jetted to match. SAS has been removed and blanked off. The bike powers and clutches up easily in 1st and 2nd and will clutch/power up over small rises in the road in 3rd, but not on the flat.

Is it just a question of shortening the gearing to 16/44 ish, or are there more mods I can do (other than headers - not made of money!)? I'm pretty heavy at 97kg so I understand this might be part of the problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dunc, It's not the bike or the gearing - you're just usless:smokin:
Better trying 15/38 - cheaper sprocket, less fiddling about with chain length etc and about the same result. (I'll have a look - I might have a 14 front lying about - 15/16 went with the 660 when I sold it)
I struggle to wheelie an MX bike or 210bhp superbike - so don't ask me for lessons :) But guys that can wheelie can wheelie anything - I've seen guys wheelie a Honda C50 for about a mile - so the 660 will do wheelies.
I've always fancied doing a wheelie school but nearest I think is Hull (Jimmy Fireblade) - might get round to it one day.
Stick in - eat less pies (did you only have one foot on the scales when it said 97Kg?) - Actually my mother-in-law went on one of these talking scales and it said "one at a time please" :smokin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm 20st and I could lift mine in 3rd with the clutch and click through to 5th on standard gearing..

Practice makes perfect..

Alan...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies! I was expecting to be told to go back and look at all the other threads on LC4 wheelies :redface:
I see what you're saying about shortening the gearing as the bike's already a bit buzzy at anthing over about 70mph (hypothetically of course), I can imagine the already modest top speed would be even worse with shorter gearing. Will get practicing shifting to 3rd ASAP.

Also, if it makes any difference the forks are lowered about 10mm through the yokes in an attempt to steepen the rake a bit (didn't make any noticeable difference). Will putting the forks back to normal and raising the front by a small amount make any difference weight distribution wise?

Thanks again!

(no more pies....no more pies...no more pies...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts