KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had the bike 3 years, mate had it from new,
How do I check if it has been derestriced? Just dosent pull as well/hard as my previous Berg FS650.
Best place for new plastics?
And has anyone advice on best way to remove indicators and headlight to replace with number board.

Cheers 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
xparauk thanks buddy I hope so, I like the bike just disappointed with the performance really 馃

Registered
I did once have a 33hp ktm restriction in my '02 640 and it was just a spacer in the top of the carb that restricted slide movement. completely different carb though.
I have heard they came with throttle stops to restrict power?
if i remember correctly the restriction the 660's came with brought the power down below 30hp. de-restricted they should be in the low 50hp range. so a sizable difference. The bike should easily power wheelie in 2nd

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Lozwin thanks I will have a look, I'm a big lad but it doesn't go as well as the Berg I had, it has the correct jet for the akra can, was fully serviced last year with carbs stripped and cleaned etc from a well known ktm dealer.
When it's back I'll get them to double check after I have had a quick look.

Registered
No problem, another thing i should mention, everyone i know with a 640 or 660 drops a tooth off the front sprocket size. it gives it a bit more snap, if you haven't already done so i'd recommend it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the sprokets already cant remember exactly what I went for as was a fair while ago

Registered
I can't compare against the Berg, but a 660 is much more powerful and responsive than a 640. Mine was great, only downside is the 5 speed box. That's where you'll lose out to the modern stuff on the straights :(. If she's noisy on the top end, beware the cam follower rollers, if they seize they can wear through the cam lobe in short order, this reduces the power gradually, as well as depositing the ground up particles to the darkest corners of your engine. Although If she's been recently serviced should be fine.

You'd probably pick the sound up before it gets bad, but I've seen some horror shows that weren't.

Anyway hope it's something simple and you get her sorted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
philmacavity, thanks buddy, yeh had a major service before 2018 summer, has been stood since, I'll get it recommissioned again and go from there, appreciate your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts