KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’ve finally had to admit defeat on the 990, it’s just to big for my needs. It was mint and I just was going to wreck the thing no matter how much money I threw at it so it’s gone to it’s new owner, a proper rider, I had a ride on the T7, but again felt to big and heavy for greenlaning.
So I’ve bought a 690 enduro r 2021.
Much lighter and nimble for me

So I’ve got bashplate, arrow end can, and handguards, 14 front sprocket!( to be fitted)!

What other mods do I need?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
Front fork springs are very soft and cause the rear to kick up. Easy upgrade.

Crank case is very wide and push you feet off the pegs so KTM rally pegs are a must have.

Tyres, best compromise I've found is the Maxxis IT front and rear. If you only ride on the road then the OEM tyres are fine.

Rade auxiliary tank and airbox if you want more range but if you have an after market exhaust then you will need a Power Commander 5.

Heated grips

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front fork springs are very soft and cause the rear to kick up. Easy upgrade.

Crank case is very wide and push you feet off the pegs so KTM rally pegs are a must have.

Tyres, best compromise I've found is the Maxxis IT front and rear. If you only ride on the road then the OEM tyres are fine.

Rade auxiliary tank and airbox if you want more range but if you have an after market exhaust then you will need a Power Commander 5.

Heated grips
Got the grips

I had a2013 duke with Pc5, and it was great.
Do these still need the fuel sorting?

I’ll be ordering the pegs!

This will be used for TET!!

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
I have a 2020 and it did benefit from the PCV. I also had a wings exhaust and the Rade air filter so felt it was necessary.

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
I did the Wales 500 rally on michelin enduros and whilst it was great off road it was very sketchy on the tarmac and I had to be careful. Hence the ITs I think are the best compromise.

The only other upgrade I would recommend is the Scotts steering damper. That's ace in the loose stuff, at speed and in the mud.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the Wales 500 rally on michelin enduros and whilst it was great off road it was very sketchy on the tarmac and I had to be careful. Hence the ITs I think are the best compromise.

The only other upgrade I would recommend is the Scotts steering damper. That's ace in the loose stuff, at speed and in the mud.
It’s got a set of enduro tyres and moose On at the moment also the original tyres unused , so I’ll use them up first.. I’ve not had a good ride on it yet , can’t wait.
I didn’t see your rally report anywhere adz..., any pictures?? How was it!!

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
It was really good but I didn't take any pictures at all. The riding was great, private land, forestry commission land, beautiful landscapes. The idea was to score the least amout of points. The winners scored zero, 98% of riders scored less than 150 points. I came last with 370 points but apparently I had morwe fun than everyone else because I broke every speed limit in the forests 🤣

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was really good but I didn't take any pictures at all. The riding was great, private land, forestry commission land, beautiful landscapes. The idea was to score the least amout of points. The winners scored zero, 98% of riders scored less than 150 points. I came last with 370 points but apparently I had morwe fun than everyone else because I broke every speed limit in the forests

View attachment 42672
Excellent stuff, you’ve just got to enjoy it , it’s all about fun!!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I’m not a good enough rider to give high quality comments but my 690 came with Pivot Pegs and they do feel so much better than the larger fixed ones I put on my 450. A good size and you don’t get that hanging on the edge of the peg feeling I get with fixed ones in my size 10’s.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve had a first little ride out on the bike, only for about 40 minutes, but here’s my thoughts.

This bike is set up , very biased for trail, and single track by PO, the sprockets I have on are 14/49, which is ok for dirt, but terrible on road, it feels very loud and viby at 50mph! stock is 15/46, which I have as well. What would be a good combination, what are you guys using ?
I could do with a little rise on the bars, has anyone used the antivibe sets which you can get?, I can’t remember the name of them.

The back end does kick up a bit, but I’ll go a few clicks up on front for now.
The tyres are metas terraforce with moose’s at the moment. I need some new tyres in the 500, so as these are new I will swap these to 500, then use a new set of tkc80’s I have on my 650, and use the part worn E-07’s I got with the bike on my 650.

I think the bike will be great when I’m done , it’s really light off-road, suspension feels good, and it’s not to tall which surprised me after reading a few comments.I’ve ordered a little screen for the longer rides to help with wind blast.

Just fitting the case protection and bashplate.

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
I always feel safer with wrap around hand guards. OEM ones are very good and have the metal bar that wraps around

·
Registered
927 Posts
End can change is okay....don't touch the airbox yet....fettle it all for off road use but the ecu won't allow engine tweaking at the moment. See previous thread on locked ECU's and fault codes if you do .

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fitted acerbis handguards just now with plate and case saver.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
End can change is okay....don't touch the airbox yet....fettle it all for off road use but the ecu won't allow engine tweaking at the moment. See previous thread on locked ECU's and fault codes if you do .

Yeh I’ve been reading that, I’ve got a. Arrow end can with the bike, but I’ve not put it on yet. I’m more trying to get the sprockets set up yet.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Adz
What sprockets did you go for on the bike for the 500?

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
Not sure, I'll have to go and count them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just use the 14 front std rear you’ve made a big jump with 14/49
Also 14/46 is std chain length.
Also big changes in s/ arm length can effect rear Susspention feel

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also close up rear rebound to help reduce rear kick little at a time.
The rear can be heavy when tanks full
13 Kgs and that’ll have a effect

1 - 20 of 98 Posts