KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Can anyone on here compare between a 690 enduro and a DRZ 400. Im riding a DRZ 400 K at the moment and would like to upgrade, would a KTM 690 enduro be a wise move or not. I'm not particularlly intrested in a dedicated dirt bike but would like something that I can use on green lane's but also do some long distance riding to, i.e. to sling a tent on the back and head for lanes in other parts of the country, or the world.

Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
loved my 690...but an hour on the tarmac was long enough for me where as off road the hard seat seemed to be forgotten. Plenty of mods out there to make it all day friendly though...and Mr. Snowy seemed to do plenty of them to his bike

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
i was very impressed with the 690 off road when i swapped bikes with a lad for a short blast in wales - the very tractorable power low down was excellent. can you get gel seats for the 690? i'd guess it should be OK for a coupe of hundred miles with some breaks thrown in to get to some new tracks at the weekend??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Beer ya need some longer legs,sad to admit i ya had get me ya bike up incline fron bets cowd.One look at 690 seat when off, is very thin.Ain,t too bad on arse .690 won,t to great for too long distance.One very good point is i can get 150 on tank with no yellow light on half steady trail run,up pace drops to 125ish.Mind you i piss around.Best maintenence is never go to KTM dealer.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
690 looks like a really nice all round bike, looks like a good step from a drz too, not into anything too race-bike but extra poke and of course, style!

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I rode one on Patsy Quick's KTM try out day as an absolute beginner and loved it but it was waaaay out of my price range.

A TRF mate (JonPaul1st on here) uses one on a daily basis to and from work (20 miles each way IIRC) and I think he's doing an east to west coast road/lane ride this very weekend so it can't be too bad. He also went to Switzerland and back on it earlier this year (by road before you ask).
It's not light by any stretch but even I can pick it up OK and it has 3 power levels so you can switch from mild to hairy.

Try and get a proper ride locally if you can (obvious statement I suppose).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the advice, Ive been told my drz will be a little heavier than 690 so picking it up wont be to much of an issue, as long as its lighter than my adventure, im sure it popped out a hernier when i last took it green laning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have done exactly what you are thinking about doing.

Went from a 2006 DRZ 400 SM to a 2021 KTM 690 Enduro R - You pay a premium for the KTM ..... BUT ...... fully adjustable WP suspension, Brembo brakes and fuel injection just take the KTM to the next level. I had my doubts about the upgrade but I don't any more!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Have done exactly what you are thinking about doing.

Went from a 2006 DRZ 400 SM to a 2021 KTM 690 Enduro R - You pay a premium for the KTM ..... BUT ...... fully adjustable WP suspension, Brembo brakes and fuel injection just take the KTM to the next level. I had my doubts about the upgrade but I don't any more!
I think he may have sorted it out by now :unsure:
11 year's ago 🐌

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Similar weight to DRZ, a load more power and much better supsension, probably a good upgrade, especially for distance work.

I had a DRZ400S which came with spare Gel seat and it still was bloody uncomfortable, no better than my Husky FE350, I can't see the 690 being too much different to the DR on that front - but I would suggest if you have long road sections to find a solution.

Years ago I used a Putnam "Stadium Seat" on my ZZR1400 on long motorway sections, it is a small pad that you inflate designed for people going to sporting events to put on uncomy bench seats - but worked a treat, and when not is use just let the air out and it takes up hardly any space.

Any bike that is much more comfy will weigh a lot more, 790 Adventure is about 30-40kg heavier I think, and that is a lot, my Husky is about 30kg lighter than the DRZ was and it makes a huge difference when going gets tough or you have to pick it up - and it is much easier to keep upright, I dropped the DR a few times when losing balance a bit, the FE is far easier to hold up when I fuck up.

I believe the Yam T700 is a bit heavier than 790, although it looks slimmer and lighter.

The twins will do the road bits way better, but I am not brave enough to take them on tough offroad sections or through deep mud, the 350 has me huffing and puffing regularly as it is!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts