KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Think this is my first post, please don't abuse me ;)

So, I have a 690 lc4 supermoto, and recently went on holiday for 3 weeks. I left it outside (covered though) for the duration and did not prep it for this idle time, simply left it as I would leave it overnight (a mate said 3 weeks should be fine, does that sound right?).

When I tried to start it this morning, at first it made a few clicking sounds, but wouldn't start. After a few attempts it now simply does nothing when I press the ignition.
Yes, it is in neutral and has petrol, and I also tried with the side stand raised, and no the kill switch is not engaged. :)

The dash lights come on and it does it's system checks, and the green neutral light is on. The battery light is NOT on, which I assume means the battery is ok and not low?

The temperature is "0" (i.e. it doesn't show any temp bars).

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

My initial thought was the battery was dead, but if the neutral light is on and the battery light is not, then I assume this means no. Perhaps the engine is "too cold"? If there is such a thing how would I remedy that?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do the lights flicker when you hit the starter? If yes, the battery is flat and just has enough power to light the dash lights, but not the starter. The clicking is usually the starter solenoid (big relay) that comes in, the starter drains the battery and the solenoid drops out again. This repeats making the clicking noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think the lights (and the dash) flickered when trying to start it. I'll go double check now. I guess it makes the most sense that it is the battery anyway.

I'll try remove the battery and get some device that checks the charge, and if so I'll charge it. I have the manual, so I "should" be able to figure it out. :) Thanks Martint123!

·
Registered
66 Posts
it takes a lot less juice to putg the lights on than start charge your battery and it will be ok on mine there is enough power to turn over but wont start because not enough power you might be best off investing in a battery conditioner like an optimate keeps battery in tip top shape all the time and you get a easy to use connector so you dont have to mess with the seat just unplug and go

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, next problem:

When I try disconnect the battery my datatool alarm goes off.
1. I assume this is because the alarm monitors the battery somehow, right?
2. I don't actually know the PIN for the alarm to disarm it, but I suppose datatool are the people to talk to there (or the dealer where i got the bike).

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Some thoughts as follows - from someone who has a 690.

The 690 will not fire up unless the battery is almost 100% charged. The battery can still have enough of a charge to turn the engine over quite healthily - but the electronics will not allow the engine to fire - it's really frustrating. If the battery is well discharged - you are stuffed and KTM removed the kickstart facility as part of a cost saving programme.

These bikes shouldn't be sold to the public without an Optimate connection fitted as OEM spec equipment. I wouldn't trust my KTM to start unless it is hooked up to Optimate every time I return to base. If you don't have an Optimate or similar then buy one (or prepare for further frustration and humilliation). The OEM spec Yuasa is just about man enough to to the job when in good nick but few replacement spec batteries can match its grunt when you need it most - e.g. on a cold winter's morning.

As for an alarm on a 690 - rip it out - complete waste of time and guaranteed to deliver angst with flat batteries and electrical gremlins. This forum has a long history of reports of bikes with alarms giving legitimate owners grief and the thieves just ignore them anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Any recommended battery chargers? Are they generally all the same, or are some better than others?

As for the alarm, well it came with the bike, and it does help with insurance, and also it HAS saved my bike from thieves once. I park right outside my office and it went off. I saw the buggers but couldn't stop them. I think I figured out how to disable the alarm correctly ("winter mode" I believe).

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it really is a Datatool alarm rather than the factory fit Meta, then put it in 'service mode' before disconnecting the battery (I think it is alarm off, ignition on, hold blipper button down until it beeps) and it should beep once a minute or so, but be disabled (service or ferry mode).

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Any recommended battery chargers? Are they generally all the same, or are some better than others?
Optimate for me every time - and they suit just about any other bike that you may fancy in the future.

As for the alarm, well it came with the bike, and it does help with insurance, and also it HAS saved my bike from thieves once. I park right outside my office and it went off. I saw the buggers but couldn't stop them. I think I figured out how to disable the alarm correctly ("winter mode" I believe).
Personally I prefer a decent chain at the office - There are just too many problems with alarms creating other problems for bike owners - although you have benfitted from it going off at the right time and saving your bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts