KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just changed jobs and need a bike for my commute. It's all on main roads and side roads, no motorways.

I've got RC8 which would be trashed if I use it all year round. Don't want to part ex the RC8 as I'd loose to much money due to the useless second hand price so was thinking of trying to get a second hand 690 for the daily commute.

Do you guys think it would a suitable choice and would it survive the winter without falling apart? I've ridden one for a day the RC8 was in for work and totally enjoyed it, so my thinking is I'd get a good commuter but also a fun toy.

What are peoples thoughts?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
sure it would do it but singles arnt usually favoured for commuting due to the higher servicing. I have a 950smr and faced with a 35mile commute to london (with a stretch on the M4) and the depreciation that would effect I went for a 600 Jap In-line 4 (Hornet S) . does the job with almost zero servicing and offers 'some' weather protection. I did used to commute on a Wr426:eek: in my last job, it was only 12.5 miles each way all on b roads, still got pissed off with the servicing though. 690 prob not as bad admittedly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I commuted on my all year round (9000 miles) and it was great,good mpg as well which counts on your commute.I would get heated grips for the depth of winter though.Just use af50 and the bike will look fine come springtime.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I ride a 690 SMCommuter - you will need lots of money for tyres and servicing - but Ii'm very overpaid for what I do and I don't care. It is also very attractive to thieves - so I'm reliably informed ..................

·
Registered
729 Posts
Spray plenty of silicon into all the electrical connector plugs and sockets regularly and if it's a beakster reinforce the waterproofing on the underside of the headlight cowl/beak or the wiring loom will disintegrate (I speak from experience). As chunky lover 69 says plenty of ACF50 wouldn't go amiss either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the advice. Considered various bikes, Yam XT660X Honda FMX 650 etc, but if I'm gonna spend 2 - 3K I think I'd pefer the 690 as I have already had two different KTM's and loved them both, fun to ride and pleased with the offerall service qulaity from dealer I use.

Looks like I'm on the unt for a 690SM them, (heated grips will need to be added of course!!!!)

·
Registered
330 Posts
stay away from the fmx theyre dog shite, i`ve got a 660smc that i`ve used for my daily comute for best part of a year now, love it and highly rate it, electrics aren`t a strong point so plenty of silicone spray wouldnt go a miss, personally done away with indicators so thats 1 less worry lol

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you go the 690 route they really benefit from the battery being kept on charge so an Optimate or similar is very desirable, I'd imagine even more important if you use heated grips.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Used my 690 SMC all year round since March 2008 (27k), heated grips, original battery & never needed charging yet (kiss of death)...
Corrosion is pretty minimal, just engine case bolts, keep it coverd in anti-corrossion stuff & lots of WD40.
As a comparison I had a CB 500 doing the same mileage P/A & it looked shite after 2 winters, the KTM finishes are far superior to Honda, IMO
I agree with Resti, this is the best commuter I've owned, & with the KTM screen there is negligable windblast & lot less pull on the arms & it is happy @ 100 on motorways, though I am only 5'5"
Get heated grips from NIK NAK on this forum. under £30
Happy 690 hunting

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just test road a 990 SMT. Totally enjoyed it and probably road it better A to B than my RC8 so now thinking of chopping the RC8.

Think the SMT will do both jobs, okay for the commute and a good fun blast machine for a ride out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ride to work (a couple of miles) every day on my SMC, and it's fantastic. It's been through two winters and sits outside, unprotected in my drive. Corrosion is minimal still (everything is coated or galvanised), and I am slowly replacing every fastener that does rust with a stainless equivalent.

If I was riding a lot further, I'd definitely consider the 990SMT. I borrowed one while my bike was in for it's first service and it was just a superb bike to ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts