KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience of both ? Is the Mk 2 worth the £3500 extra over the Mk 1 which seem to go for around £6000. I'm not fussed about the Quick shifter as when I had a 1290 GT I hardly ever used it. Unfortunately, I can't see anyone in the Midlands offering demo rides on the new 690, in fact I don't think anyone anywhere offers demo rides.
Is the suspension on the Mk 1 that inferior to the Mk 2 ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
premier bikes in Abingdon have a demo, I've ridden it 3 times. The quickshifter is fantastic!!!!

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Thanks for that. I'll give them a call.
speak to Darren and tell him i sent you... It may not get you discount, but you'll get a test-ride out of it :)

I didn't notice anything wrong with the new one at all, fuelling was great, brakes were amazing. It has all the electronics you could want.

Don't forget, when asking yourself is it worth £3500 more, it's not like for like, it's a 2015 vs a 2019 bike, 4 years newer. So whilst it's a question of whether the bike is 'better', it's also a lot newer.

44teeth have done an excellent video/review of it, which you may or may not want to watch on Youtube, if you do, you'll buy one tomorrow :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Abingdon have now taken their bike off demo but the guy I spoke to said I could take it out if it was a nice day which is fair enough.
The age of a bike doesn't bother me too much, £3500 is a lot just for a warranty.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tested one in Braintree (a test bike that was subsequently crashed by another customer!) and loved it. Newer is always better, but I ended up buying a 2016 bike which had a quick shifter as well as exhaust, PC and all the blingy stuff.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Great bikes, I’ve not had a go on the newest version but the best of the rest is the 2012/2013 full 690 cc model, we are actually on MK4 now

08-11 654cc single spark original gangster SMC
12-13 690cc single spark ( best engine, really torquey ) SMC-R
14-17 690cc twin spark model, feels a bit flatter than the previous model, not as raw or punchy, still great though
18-On - Twin balancer shaft added, smooth as silk now, power hike and from riding a Husky 701 the engine is a monster, PCV, full system and airbox shenanigans would make this epic

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Still have your old 2010 SMC, put it at the back of the garage for now to make use of my new 690 Duke, the SMC is a keeper for sure and in my hands I can not see the new bike any better in the fun department, but look forward to owning one when we have a good price drop, my old 08 SMC was a great bike as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the history lesson Wazza, I didn't realise that the pre 19' bikes (old shape) were different. As a fun ride to work bike, I'm thinking there is no need for me to buy new.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Still have your old 2010 SMC, put it at the back of the garage for now to make use of my new 690 Duke, the SMC is a keeper for sure and in my hands I can not see the new bike any better in the fun department, but look forward to owning one when we have a good price drop, my old 08 SMC was a great bike as well.
Top bike that, I wish I had kept it now, the pod filter conversion, Akrapovic and remap really wakes it up. I’d agree there’s not much it in between that and a new one, £4500 v £10k once you’ve put the bits on, no chance . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought up a almost year old 2019 model from premier bikes for £6995 with 3k miles. I think it might have been their demo bike. I often see 2016 shape ones going for the 6k region so maybe wait till another one like mine comes up.

I tested one in Braintree (a test bike that was subsequently crashed by another customer!) and loved it. Newer is always better, but I ended up buying a 2016 bike which had a quick shifter as well as exhaust, PC and all the blingy stuff.
Yep that had been crashed just before I wanted to test ride it lol. I think I was the 1st one to ride after they got it fixed.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
MAybe not then, does make sense actually as i put the first 50 miles on the SMC-R with the big decal, then even when i rode it later it was only on about 1000 miles, so 3000 was a bit of a surprise... :)

Either way, cracking cracking thing you've got there... I have to admit, i've had a few thoughts on their 0 miles one at £7999.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MAybe not then, does make sense actually as i put the first 50 miles on the SMC-R with the big decal, then even when i rode it later it was only on about 1000 miles, so 3000 was a bit of a surprise... :)

Either way, cracking cracking thing you've got there... I have to admit, i've had a few thoughts on their 0 miles one at £7999.
Darren told me the bike was owned in house so it might have been another demo bike they had.

Yes I was going to go for that one but it would have meant another month or two of waiting and I just know it would have been sold by then. Besides with a used one the running in has been done, and it has warranty so I have nothing to worry about.
I cant wait to get it, waiting for payday so about the 17th of next month. Its a big upgrade from my old bike. a 1999 KTM LC4 640 which was like a tractor in comparison haha. the 690 is soooo smooth.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
i had a 13 plate..... can`t see how a new model is worth £3500 more....
plus after 13, it had all the electronic shite on....

just my thoughts

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
i had a 13 plate..... can`t see how a new model is worth £3500 more....
plus after 13, it had all the electronic shite on....

just my thoughts
Quickshifter and traction control i guess.... But arguably the 13-15 is prettier and a bit more real SM than the newer ones.

That said, they'e not THAT much less than a new 19

1 - 19 of 19 Posts