KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. (Ive posted this in tech how to's and 790 twins).

Theres two ACC2 switched lives apparently. (These become live only when the ignition is switched on and the ACC1's are permanently live, I believe, but not sure what you would use these for to be honest). One ACC2 underneath the rear seat and the other ACC2 behind the headlamp. (Theres also 2 ACC1's unswitched in the same places).

Ive got heated grips which I believe takes the one behind the headlamp which leaves the rear seat one.

I want to install a satnav but would also like to get some heated clothing and maybe a usb connector...
and a dishwasher 馃榿

I read somewhere you could fit a 'relay' somehow, using both the acc1 and acc2 wires under the seat which would up the amperage (and may provide some more outlets?) to enable you to do this. Apparently there's a 10Amp fuse for both the ACC2's which may be too low.

I have very little idea how you would go about this but wondered whether someone did.

I would like to add, I think I could wire the satnav direct to the battery but am reluctant because my brand new bike had two duff batteries apparently (I think they may have been fibbing though and think it was probably just one) but I'm thinking that the satnav may drain the battery in some way and am a bit apprehensive due to past experiences.

I do hope Ive made myself understood.

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

Registered
Easiest thing to do is place a relay near either of the AC2's, space dependant. Use AC2 to trip the relay when you switch the ignition on, Then run a fused lead direct from the battery to carry the high current side to the relay.

This is what I did on my 990 when I fitted an additional horn with a small air compressor.

Also remember that the existing AC2 is rated at 10 amps (well it is on a 990) if you work out the current draw on your proposed accessories, you may already have sufficient capacity.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Easiest thing to do is place a relay near either of the AC2's, space dependant. Use AC2 to trip the relay when you switch the ignition on, Then run a fused lead direct from the battery to carry the high current side to the relay.

This is what I did on my 990 when I fitted an additional horn with a small air compressor.

Also remember that the existing AC2 is rated at 10 amps (well it is on a 990) if you work out the current draw on your proposed accessories, you may already have sufficient capacity.
Hi. Thanks for response. There are other wires identified as ACC1's next to the ACC2's. I think these ACC1's are permanently live. Do you think I could use these to carry the high current side of the relay. I'm afraid I know very little regarding wiring.

Registered
From memory, the gauge of the wiring to both AC1 & AC2 is not that large.
The advantage of running a cable direct from the battery is that you can up the size of the cable, to enable you to draw higher currents (heated clothing etc) and because of its size, there is less voltage drop, than there would be with smaller sized cable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
From memory, the gauge of the wiring to both AC1 & AC2 is not that large.
The advantage of running a cable direct from the battery is that you can up the size of the cable, to enable you to draw higher currents (heated clothing etc) and because of its size, there is less voltage drop, than there would be with smaller sized cable.
Hi. Do you know what type of relay would be suitable?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
This would be ideal 12V 4 Blade Relay
I use these people for most of my electrical supplies, they are very reliable.

Hi Simon....to further tax your brain if you get a chance...I'd like to supply the satnav from the one ACC2 I have in the headlamp but it is taken by the heated grips. Is there a way I could make the ACC2 into two ACC2's at all?

Premium Member
Hi Simon....to further tax your brain if you get a chance...I'd like to supply the satnav from the one ACC2 I have in the headlamp but it is taken by the heated grips. Is there a way I could make the ACC2 into two ACC2's at all?
I鈥檝e done this a few times using 1/4鈥 spade crimps to make up a pair of Y leads, splitting the single Acc2 into 2 (each Y has a male at the bottom and 2 females on the arms)
Make sure everything is well insulated and can鈥檛 short out.

You could also use a piggy back crimp on the power lead of one device. Again these will need insulating with tape or heatshrink

Registered
I would check what the current draw on the grips is - Then see if you can run the nav off the same supply. You will obviously need to check what that draws. The grips will obviously be the higher of the two.

If they exceed the load on AC2 you will need to run an additional supply up to the headlight area or consider mounting a small fuse box in the cockpit / headlamp area.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I would check what the current draw on the grips is - Then see if you can run the nav off the same supply. You will obviously need to check what that draws. The grips will obviously be the higher of the two.

If they exceed the load on AC2 you will need to run an additional supply up to the headlight area or consider mounting a small fuse box in the cockpit / headlamp area.

Nice one Simon, much appreciated

Registered
If its the same as the 1190/1290 the out put of acc2 is limited and will not be enough to run grips a sat nav will be ok you need to fit a relay a previously stated

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
If its the same as the 1190/1290 the out put of acc2 is limited and will not be enough to run grips a sat nav will be ok you need to fit a relay a previously stated

Hi. Ive run the satnav cable from the ACC2 at the rear, under seat but its not very good because as u turn the handlebars it bends the cable (and looks untidy). They should've supplied a couple of ACC2's at the rear and in headlamp. Most people attach a satnav.

Supposing you want to fit front lights??? I suppose you supply from the rear of the bike.

Dyou know what the point of the ACC1's are?

I mean I could use the ACC1 in the headlamp to supply power for the satnav??? Don't see why not as long as I don't leave it on???

Regards

Tom

Registered
Hi. Ive run the satnav cable from the ACC2 at the rear, under seat but its not very good because as u turn the handlebars it bends the cable (and looks untidy). They should've supplied a couple of ACC2's at the rear and in headlamp. Most people attach a satnav.

Supposing you want to fit front lights??? I suppose you supply from the rear of the bike.

Dyou know what the point of the ACC1's are?

I mean I could use the ACC1 in the headlamp to supply power for the satnav??? Don't see why not as long as I don't leave it on???

Regards

Tom
You said there was acc 2 and 1 behind headlamp in first post.....acc1 is used in conjunction with a relay switched by acc2 to run spot lights etc

Registered
As you point out AC1 is permanently live, therefore anything you supply from it will stay live even with the ignition switched off. That is fine for a sat nav. as long as you remember to remove the unit overnight & you check that the mount itself has no current draw.

On my 990 AC1 goes to the accessory on the dash, and I connect my 'optimate' battery conditioner to it when the bike is parked up.

With regards running additional cables, I follow existing looms & tuck the cable behind them so that they cannot be seen. You obviously need to ensure there is sufficient slack in the cable to allow the bars to turn.

If you are planning on running a lot of accessories, you can buy dedicated power distribution units, however they are expensive compared to some relays wired neatly to the machine, although if you are tight on space it may be worth looking into. Fuzeblock switchable fuse panel

If you take your time, and run the cables neatly & carefully you should have no major problems.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
As you point out AC1 is permanently live, therefore anything you supply from it will stay live even with the ignition switched off. That is fine for a sat nav. as long as you remember to remove the unit overnight & you check that the mount itself has no current draw.

On my 990 AC1 goes to the accessory on the dash, and I connect my 'optimate' battery conditioner to it when the bike is parked up.

Hi Simon. When you say AC1 goes to the 'accessory on the dash, and I connect my 'optimate' battery conditioner to it, can you tell me exactly what u mean please?

I don't understand how you can connect the optimate to an AC1 cable that is live.

Tom

Registered
I see what you mean, but think of it as 2 wires going straight to the battery - it is just like putting jump leads on a car.
I do the same with my off road bike & my Caterham, batteries are kept fresh & fully charged.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I see what you mean, but think of it as 2 wires going straight to the battery - it is just like putting jump leads on a car.
I do the same with my off road bike & my Caterham, batteries are kept fresh & fully charged.
So, instead of power coming down the ACC1 wires, you're sending power straight back up the wires to the battery?

Registered
So, instead of power coming down the ACC1 wires, you're sending power straight back up the wires to the battery?
There is still 12 volts at the plug, you are just putting 12 volts in the other direction, saves connecting the optimate direct to the battery or having a trailing lead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts