KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Before anyone starts I'm not complaining lol.
Has anybody had any issues with their 790 r as I'm now on my second exhaust which is still leaking,my second dash which is still misting up and my second oil seal kit front sprocket which has cured the leak thus far.
My dealer informs me that they are meeting with a ktm UK rep this week to ask what they are to do with regards to these issues, as simply replacing them is not sorting the problem.
Be nice to know if anyone else has had similar experiences?
Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all
Before anyone starts I'm not complaining lol.
Has anybody had any issues with their 790 r as I'm now on my second exhaust which is still leaking,my second dash which is still misting up and my second oil seal kit front sprocket which has cured the leak thus far.
My dealer informs me that they are meeting with a ktm UK rep this week to ask what they are to do with regards to these issues, as simply replacing them is not sorting the problem.
Be nice to know if anyone else has had similar experiences?
Cheers
Wow! That's not good..... I recently bought a new 1290R... My TFT dash was a little intermittent and a small oil leak...But fingers crossed all good at the moment. :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I know Ming on here has the none R and has had issues with the exhaust leaking water which drips on the swing arm and stains it.
Maybe he'll chime in soon with more details.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That's not good..... I recently bought a new 1290R... My TFT dash was a little intermittent and a small oil leak...But fingers crossed all good at the moment. :)
I pxed my 1290 S for the 790 r never had one problem with 1290, wondering if I have made the right decision. Dont get me wrong the 790 r is a cracking bike handling is great engine has plenty of go.
Just wasn't expecting as many issues after spending £12000 lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some folk are on there 6th screen and counting. KTM are aware and are replacing the screens but they all seem to be the same part...i.e. not a revised version. I have some misting on my S screen but it's not too much of a problem and I've got another 18 months or so to get it sorted.

Some screens have stopped working all together and some link the key issue some folk have had to the water ingress/misting. Loads of info here...

https://790adventure.net

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a update today from my dealer.
Apparently the items that are being replaced are the same as the original ones in the hope they wont fail.
I've been told in a month or so the dash unit and exhaust will be the upgrade unit's.
So I've decided to wait out the next month to get my faulty items replaced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got a update today from my dealer.
Apparently the items that are being replaced are the same as the original ones in the hope they wont fail.
I've been told in a month or so the dash unit and exhaust will be the upgrade unit's.
So I've decided to wait out the next month to get my faulty items replaced.
Sounds good.... What part of the Country are you located??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the screen replaced due to condensation and the exhaust was leaking but I replaced it with a Wings pipe, much better. No oil leaks yet but I keep checking.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The screen on my 390 Duke gets lots of condensation ..had it replaced but it still does it...ktm need to employ someone who can design a waterproof speedo... maybe someone from yamaha, Suzuki,Honda..can't be that difficult

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The screen on my 390 Duke gets lots of condensation ..had it replaced but it still does it...ktm need to employ someone who can design a waterproof speedo... maybe someone from yamaha, Suzuki,Honda..can't be that difficult
Agree totally

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was supposed to be going to sweet lamb at the end of October but I’m being told now that they’re sending all the 790s back to Austria :(

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I was supposed to be going to sweet lamb at the end of October but I’m being told now that they’re sending all the 790s back to Austria :(
Who told you that?

The bikes are going back to KTM UK at the end of October/early Nov when the training calendar finishes.
A new training calendar will be up for 2020 :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know Ming on here has the none R and has had issues with the exhaust leaking water which drips on the swing arm and stains it.
Maybe he'll chime in soon with more details.
Sorry, been away in Spain and Portugal snce the 8th and not much internet so only just seen this.

Bought bike in April. Got 7000 miles on it now. On it's third exhaust as the first two both leaked through the rivets on start up. The latest design is similar but has more rivets closer together and they obviously fit better as it doesn't leak any longer. Had no problems with misting screens although it did go blank once. Turned off and on again and not had it since. Back brake has been getting seriously hot, even after not using it for much of a ride. It's like the pistons are dragging but I've taken the pads out and they look okay, but spinning the wheel sees the disc hitting the spring retaining clip for the pads at intervals, suggesting the disc is out of round. Maybe this constant touching is enough to heat the caliper? Anyway, it's back in the dealers for the 4th time....and whilst in Spain I came out in the morning to find a water leak under the bike. Thought I'd seen a similar thing on the first day but checked the expansion tank and it was full to the top line, so I ignored it.

After this second leak, I rang the dealers and they said they'd had one in with a faulty thermostat and the rad wasn't drawing any coolant in from the expansion tank and they suggested I take a look in the rad. It looked pretty dry, so being in the middle of nowhere he said to put some water in to top the rad up to get me somewhere where I could get some coolant. It did the same trick once more before we came home and I dropped it off at the dealers straight away. Didn't help that on the left side of the bash plate there was an oily deposit. Not sure if there's a faulty oil seal as well or whether the leaking coolant picked up some chain lube deposit on the front sprocket and coloured the liquid.

Anyways, they don't let demo bikes out overnight due to their insurance rules which means I have no bike until they fix it.......

I love the concept of the bike, it's fuel efficiency and cracking engine. I don't like the 21 inch front wheel and the PITA way of adjusting rear preload with a C spanner - skinned knuckles every time the wife comes out on pillion. None of the faults I've had have stopped me in my tracks but the bike has it's own parking space at the dealers, it visits that often. The wife is thinking of getting a bike for herself which will mean I no longer have to take a pillion and then I think I'll get rid of it for another brand. Shame as I loved my 1190 and had over 30k miles without incident but the build quality of this one isn't a patch on that, and this is an Austrian built one rather than the Far Eastern ones being built from next year which everyone was concerned about.

Hope for your sakes mine is a bad example.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, been away in Spain and Portugal snce the 8th and not much internet so only just seen this.

Bought bike in April. Got 7000 miles on it now. On it's third exhaust as the first two both leaked through the rivets on start up. The latest design is similar but has more rivets closer together and they obviously fit better as it doesn't leak any longer. Had no problems with misting screens although it did go blank once. Turned off and on again and not had it since. Back brake has been getting seriously hot, even after not using it for much of a ride. It's like the pistons are dragging but I've taken the pads out and they look okay, but spinning the wheel sees the disc hitting the spring retaining clip for the pads at intervals, suggesting the disc is out of round. Maybe this constant touching is enough to heat the caliper? Anyway, it's back in the dealers for the 4th time....and whilst in Spain I came out in the morning to find a water leak under the bike. Thought I'd seen a similar thing on the first day but checked the expansion tank and it was full to the top line, so I ignored it.

After this second leak, I rang the dealers and they said they'd had one in with a faulty thermostat and the rad wasn't drawing any coolant in from the expansion tank and they suggested I take a look in the rad. It looked pretty dry, so being in the middle of nowhere he said to put some water in to top the rad up to get me somewhere where I could get some coolant. It did the same trick once more before we came home and I dropped it off at the dealers straight away. Didn't help that on the left side of the bash plate there was an oily deposit. Not sure if there's a faulty oil seal as well or whether the leaking coolant picked up some chain lube deposit on the front sprocket and coloured the liquid.

Anyways, they don't let demo bikes out overnight due to their insurance rules which means I have no bike until they fix it.......

I love the concept of the bike, it's fuel efficiency and cracking engine. I don't like the 21 inch front wheel and the PITA way of adjusting rear preload with a C spanner - skinned knuckles every time the wife comes out on pillion. None of the faults I've had have stopped me in my tracks but the bike has it's own parking space at the dealers, it visits that often. The wife is thinking of getting a bike for herself which will mean I no longer have to take a pillion and then I think I'll get rid of it for another brand. Shame as I loved my 1190 and had over 30k miles without incident but the build quality of this one isn't a patch on that, and this is an Austrian built one rather than the Far Eastern ones being built from next year which everyone was concerned about.

Hope for your sakes mine is a bad example.
Looks like mine is the second bad example!
Got back from a ride yesterday front brake fulid had leaked all over the handlebar from the brake cylinder.
I have had mine since May and it has been back to the dealer 3 times already and currently waiting for another new dash and exhaust this will be the second time these items have been replaced, so a 4th visit will be due soon.
This is a shame as I think the bike is great. My only worry is, as like Ming it will have a reserved space at the dealers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems S and P will have a little section of the warehouse set aside for broken 790's soon..... Or are you taking yours elsewhere?
I'm going to get the faulty items replaced and see how it goes from there. As I said the bike is great but if I end up at the dealers more than riding it then it will have to go.
I don't use SP prefer JD excellent service in my opinion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought the bike from S and P so they can have it back for warranty work as they're closer. Just wish they could have loaned me a bike for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the bike from S and P so they can have it back for warranty work as they're closer. Just wish they could have loaned me a bike for the inconvenience.
I do get a loan bike each time mine is in for the warranty work but thats only usually for the day and not overnight. Not sure what there policy would be if I needed a bike for longer. Took the 1290 adventure r out last time, I think I might miss that engine lol. Watch this space.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts