I've seen you can swap out the 21/18 arrangement for 19/17
I'm probably never going to do any serious off roading
Has anyone ever done this swap?
From what I gather 17/17 throws the bike out entirely
Any thoughts would be great

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used to run 17/17 Alpina Wheels even went down to Spain on them total hoot and to be honest if you've never ridin 19/17 you will be happy enough the 17/17 set up is cool it's not scary or dangerous but is hilarious in my experience.

Like all bike stuff I guess it's very subjective and down to individual expressions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been told it fucks with the entire set up!
I am tempted to go to 17 17 see !

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did drop the forks in the triple clamps now you've mentioned it, but it didn't wobble, weave, sway or any other weird shit.

I would run either set up quite happily... It just makes it a 9?0 supermoto which is nice..

Really funny on B-roads and Spanish roads camber but it looks fugly and wasn't practical in the end for my riding hence I went back to the 21/18.

Glad I did it for the experience though.. . It's was like an itch that needed scratched.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just sold up a 690 super moto for an adventure. Dint want the 21 18 set up at all!

·
Registered
116 Posts
In that case I'm sure you would be happy with any configuration.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I run a set of Alpina's 19/17. Best move ever on the road . means you can save the off road tyres for when you want them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Alpina's were crazy expensive by the time you add tyres and discs and bolts.
You might be able to get some Talon rims they are really helpful they built my old Africa Twin wheels and my current wheels I think they are in Somerset neck of the woods.
They might lace up a set of rims to your hubs if you know your not going back...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Ran 19/17 on mine. Superb addition, converted the ADV into an Alpine hairpin scorcher.
I needed a shortened side-stand, and heaving her up onto centre-stand with full luggage was problematic, but do-able.
Michelin Annakee3's completed the transformation.
handling stability was excellent, although I found the rear ABS was cutting in much earlier, possibly due to using the front harder :cool:
and lifting the rear. If you can, pay more and get tubeless. mine were tubed, so always had to carry tubes & levers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
after off roading my 950 adv for a couple of years, and all the problems that it involves, I decided to go down the 19/17 route and also improve the brakes, so this is the final result.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I got 19/17 anakee 2 best thing I ever did as i don't use it off road proper just the odd easy dry gravel lane which I can still do...steers and handles better altered the gearing slightly with the smaller wheel for the better and now tubeless so no tube worries..uses more fuel because I rag it more!
IMG_20200404_155535912_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200404_155510651_HDR.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts