KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen (on eBay) what appears to be a nice 950 adventure with 37k on the clock. Had valves done etc BUT although a motorbike dealer they arent offering warranty on this. Pictures look very tidy indeed. Should i be concerned about this? Am a mechancial numpty, so not a fan of any tinkering, and just want a nice sound reliable bike. Have had a break from biking, but planning a tour again next year, and this seems to have come up at the right time. I had a 990 years back, but had ridden the 950 and was blown away by it (in comparison to my 990....) Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Any 950 Adv will be at least 14yrs old and were not known for their outstanding reliability record when they were new. Although they are a lot of fun to ride ( even though the brakes are shit) unless you're happy to spend time in the workshop with it, it may not be your best choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am a mechanical numpty so no chance of me being able to maintain it alone. Brakes were defo shite on my 990 ;-)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Am a mechanical numpty so no chance of me being able to maintain it alone.
Thats not a problem providing you either have a mate who can help or can afford to take it to a competent workshop, which also assumes that you can find one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Any 950 Adv will be at least 14yrs old and were not known for their outstanding reliability record when they were new. Although they are a lot of fun to ride ( even though the brakes are shit) unless you're happy to spend time in the workshop with it, it may not be your best choice.
Not strictly true pal, I had two 950 adventures one that had done 40k miles before some scrotes had it away and the second just over 50k miles, had the last one for around 8 years, both of them never missed a beat other than an upgraded facet fuel pump (which are supposed to be Uber reliable) failed on me in Morocco, luckily I was carrying a spare and swapped it out on the road. I wouldn’t hesitate in getting another one like the one advertised if I had the dollar!

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's true...but most of the issues (water pump, casting sand in the coolant, clutch master cylinder) are well-known and 'sortable' HoW on Orange Crush will show you how.
Solutions for all problems...most of which you will never encounter!

·
Registered
324 Posts
There's this one...not seen it, but fitted with some good kit

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
Assuming this one

Either congratulations or commiserations as a deposit on it.
Looks tidy.
Usual maintenance, don't be put off by age or mileage, the motors aren't that stressed and it does looked after. Its towards the end of 950's so will have most of the know issues resolved. The exhausts look good so its been stored under cover. Only one way to learn bike maintenance, do it with some guidance. People have ridden these bike around the globe, putting more stress and wear in a year than the average road rider would put in ten years. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Am a mechanical numpty so no chance of me being able to maintain it alone. Brakes were defo shite on my 990 ;-)
Maybe look for something a bit newer, most bikes depreciate very little one about 4 years old, so apart from the extra initial outlay won't cost much more in that regard, and may be a lot cheaper with regard to shit (not) going wrong.

I would look to a nice tidy 4-5 year old bike if on a budget and not able to do any work myself. Things like the Super Tenere and V-Strom are mega reliable and can be serviced easily by most indie workshops, or even a 1050/1190 if you really want a KTM....

...Although the 950 / 990's are beautiful things, but maybe not the best choice for a reliable tourer and someone 100% relying on dealers for maintenance.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

this is an 03 950 adventure with most of the issues repaired/replaced, 67k milage on some of the original engine, carbs fettled by X Bikes in Wisbeach, they will go on forever !!!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
67k on SOME of original engine lol. I'd expect it have all of it.
Seriously, if you can't work on bikes then buy Japanese. Buy the right one and they just run without going wrong. 111k miles on my xt660z now.

Reactions: surms

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Top lurking surms😂

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
That side stand extender is massive, doesn't it get in the way?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That side stand extender is massive, doesn't it get in the way?
Its the devils own job trying to stuff it under the seat....;) but the bike has never fell off it, myself however.... is a totally different story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi , did you take the plunge.?
About not being mechanical minded etc.......You got to sooner or later buy something if you have the calling!!!! Just get a Halfords £100 socket/tool kit and have a look on YouTube or here for whatever you want to do and it’s not rocket science...... if you do yourself an oil change, you will have earned most of the tool kit money back.
Most common expensive issue is rotten exhaust headers ( near block on front cylinder) from my experience.
And no don’t buy newer if you don’t want to spend , they are a great bike that you won’t loose any money on .. getting collectible

1 - 18 of 18 Posts