KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im swapping the front sprocket on my 950sm for the 16T. Ive got the nut off and the bendy washer thing but the think wont budge a mm. Ive pry'd hit and wiggled and nothing. Have i missed something? I know i will likely have to remove the clutch slave but its not budging even that much.

/Jon

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know if you did this.

Remove the clutch slave.

Loosen the chain and remove it from the front sprocket.

Then the sprocket should come off. It may require a little effort to remove but not much. Try to wiggle it first. Unless there is corrosion or something else binding the sprocket it should remove rather easily.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup ive done that now but its the same. Ive even shouted at it but still nothing.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Looks like you got a bit of corrosion on the spline/sprocket . It should still come off though ,DONT get the hammer out etc .Give it a good wiggle and try a bit of WD40 to ease it off. Clean the splines up with some wire wool before you put the new one on .

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
When I changed sprockets on my first 950 it was seized on. Was a right fooking bitch to get off.

Try getting a big socket that will go over the spindle and see if you can use that to give the sprocket a sharp tap with a light hammer to break the corrosion seal...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hi,

Im swapping the front sprocket on my 950sm for the 16T. Ive got the nut off and the bendy washer thing but the think wont budge a mm. Ive pry'd hit and wiggled and nothing. Have i missed something? I know i will likely have to remove the clutch slave but its not budging even that much.

/Jon
Looks like its been at the bottom of the ocean for a few yrs..:D It wouldnt hurt to smear some copper grease on the splines before you fit the 16t

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the fecker from behind with a hammer and a crowbar! I had some grease knocking about so i put some on before fitting.

Job Done!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say its a massive difference bit it is noticeable. Cant wait for the cans and the epc/sas removal now!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not stupid. Ive filled up the gas axe for that little task :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
newbie question - i'm about to change the front on mine (06 950sm) for a 16T and just want to check that i can remove the clutch slave safely (as it appears i need to to get the front sprocket off the bike and well as the front chain guard).

do i just remove the 2 bolts holding the (oberon) clutch slave onto the engine and remove it (leaving it connected to the braided clutch hose) - i guess i just need to be very careful not to touch the clutch lever whilst it is out?

refitting? just slid it in and do it up? any idea what torque the clutch slave bolts should be at? no need to re-bleed?

thanks in advance

Jim

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
yes slides off and yes don't touch the clutch lever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts