KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a coupla queries about the 950sm.

Mine's a 2007 and chews about 500ml of oil per 1000km. There was an oil leak at the drive shaft which was fixed, but the thing is still eating oil. This rate seems high to me...any pointers?

Also, how many of your ride yours in the rain? Not sure if it's the Australian fender design, but mine throws water onto my back in the rain.

Lastly, I adjusted my rear brake lever down and now the brake light only comes on at full lock. I can't see anything in the repair or owner's manuals about adjusting this - any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Lowkey

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
chews about 500ml of oil per 1000km. There was an oil leak at the drive shaft which was fixed, but the thing is still eating oil. This rate seems high to me...any pointers?
search '950 uses oil'. If they are run in according to handbook LC8 lump uses oil. will reduce with more mileage (unsure about mileage on your bike) i think they settle down around 10k+

Also, how many of your ride yours in the rain? Not sure if it's the Australian fender design, but mine throws water onto my back in the rain.
If you mean 'throws water onto my VISOR' in the rain. yes, with the standard 'fender' front wheel throws water forward to come back and hit you - solution - fit a SD 07 fender (07 onwards - see my avatar pic)

cant shed any light on your rear brake issue im afraid.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You will find (as most of us did) that it stops using oil when you follow the hand book for measuring it..........when its hot .

If you measure the oil when its cold .............it is always half empty so you fill it.............it chucks it out the breather...........SO YOU FILL IT

They all use a bit anyway......and get better with miles, the harder you use them ...the less they seem to use

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Lastly, I adjusted my rear brake lever down and now the brake light only comes on at full lock. I can't see anything in the repair or owner's manuals about adjusting this - any ideas?
The rear brake switch is pressure-activated. So it switches when youre actually braking rather than anything related to movement of the lever. That said, if you think its coming on late, the sensor (integrated into the banjo) might be iffy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
search '950 uses oil'. If they are run in according to handbook LC8 lump uses oil. will reduce with more mileage (unsure about mileage on your bike) i think they settle down around 10k+

If you mean 'throws water onto my VISOR' in the rain. yes, with the standard 'fender' front wheel throws water forward to come back and hit you - solution - fit a SD 07 fender (07 onwards - see my avatar pic)

cant shed any light on your rear brake issue im afraid.
Just ticked over 20k km's.

Also, pretty sure it's coming from the back as the water settles on my neck. :(

You will find (as most of us did) that it stops using oil when you follow the hand book for measuring it..........when its hot .

If you measure the oil when its cold .............it is always half empty so you fill it.............it chucks it out the breather...........SO YOU FILL IT

They all use a bit anyway......and get better with miles, the harder you use them ...the less they seem to use
Hehe always measure when it's hot. I guess I gotta ride it like I stole it some more then.

The rear brake switch is pressure-activated. So it switches when youre actually braking rather than anything related to movement of the lever. That said, if you think its coming on late, the sensor (integrated into the banjo) might be iffy...
Mmm, I recall it came on earlier before adjusting the lever down. :| or may be my memory.

Anyone got any more ideas on the brake thing or rear water flingy flingy??
:)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
the laws of physics say that water 'flinging' off the rear wheel shouldnt then hit you in the neck ?! sure you havent got a midget pissing down the back of your jacket ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Southern hemisphere dude. Water does things different here :p

It's got me...all I know is whenever I ride in the rain my neck gets wet, and so does the seat right behind my arse (along with sand and crud from the road).

·
Registered
446 Posts
^^^ I can confirm the rules of physics don't apply in the northern hemisphere either.

ever ridden a mountain bike without any mudguards? you get all kinds of crap sprayed up your back. Add an engine....same shit happens... :D

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
yeah i do MTB so realise what your saying that but unless the Oz rear tail unit is shorter ? still sounds weird to me. maybe you need to get a hugger. i rode mine all through the winter and no probs.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/bikes-bits-sale/51796-skidmark-carbon-hugger-ktm-950-990-sm-superduke.html

i sprayed mine satin to match the bike. it whacks the chain sometimes over cobbles but other than that happy with it, which is fortunate as i dont think there's an alternative yet if you want the full coverage. its from skidmarx.co.uk

·
Registered
940 Posts
why worry about the brake light coming on with the rear brake, can't think why you'd need to use the rear and not the front brakes on the road

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
why worry about the brake light coming on with the rear brake, can't think why you'd need to use the rear and not the front brakes on the road
Quite handy at MoT time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I discovered oil all over the window behind where I park (and start) my bike in the mornings.

I gather the oil is forcing itself past the piston rings and therefore blowing out the back.

Perhaps it wasn't run-in properly to begin with. :(

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Has anyone considered taking a new stock hugger, cutting the end off (neatly) and extending the original hugger? Would get a good fit, its matt finished and would do the job.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Has anyone considered taking a new stock hugger, cutting the end off (neatly) and extending the original hugger? Would get a good fit, its matt finished and would do the job.
dude ive got an old transit mudflap in my garage if u wanna experiment with that im all good lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ay up Kirky lad, how you doing mate? Still causing havoc on them back roads of Lancashire?
Ayup dude!!! yeah am all good. Sold the 660 last year was sad to see it go to be fair. sold it to a guy on here. Still got a road bike to mess about on tho ,what u ridin at the min fella? Doris and Manc still ridin????

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
yeah i do MTB so realise what your saying that but unless the Oz rear tail unit is shorter ? still sounds weird to me. maybe you need to get a hugger. i rode mine all through the winter and no probs.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/bikes-bits-sale/51796-skidmark-carbon-hugger-ktm-950-990-sm-superduke.html
i put the stock hugger back on my 990sm , to trade it in , and my back was covered in shite after a ride in the wet last week !! didn't happen with the carbon one i had fitted before though ,the oe hugger is a stupidly small item !!!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Ayup dude!!! yeah am all good. Sold the 660 last year was sad to see it go to be fair. sold it to a guy on here. Still got a road bike to mess about on tho ,what u ridin at the min fella? Doris and Manc still ridin????
I'm on a 950SMR now.

Not heard from Doris for ages and Manc sold his kit and is off the road. We should catch up for a ride when the weather warms up a bit. What you riding now?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm on a 950SMR now.

Not heard from Doris for ages and Manc sold his kit and is off the road. We should catch up for a ride when the weather warms up a bit. What you riding now?
Yeah sounds good mate, not be long now till the roads warm up a little, got a blade Tell , i cud put a KTM sticker on it for the rideout and wear my motorcross lid if u like haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts