KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 950 a couple of months now and love it. But I am wondering if it is running as well as it could. It seems pretty lumpy and not that smooth when accelerating and on a closed throttle there is a lot of popping (I like it, but should it do it as much??)

When I bought it, it had only done 1k miles in the past 18 months, so obviously sat around and not serviced since. But was in excellent condition - sold by Premier Bikes in Didcot - so apparently looked after. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Got mine from Premier bikes and I can tell you its no guarantee that it was looked after - il tell you about it one day!

Could be the carbs are not seated correctly over the inlet ports - you need to remove bodywork (tanks) and remove the triangular plastic sections to look in a check this. Easy peasy check if you have ever picked up a spanner in your life

May also need carbs looked over if it was correctly stored in the time it wasn't running.

Where do you live? Id take it to KTM Centre if you can't do the work yourself - they are in Hemel. Sometimes they may npt be the cheapest but they are top guys and may even be worth a call for advice. Mind you, your about to get a load of that on here.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Are the carbs balanced?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am suspecting that the carbs may need cleaning and/or balancing. I wondered about the air filter but assuming that was changed last service I can't see that it would be a problem after 2k miles.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Mine was the same, also bought from Premier, the following list of items sorted it.

Full service.
Take off Sas, They bleed air into the exhuast, bingo popping and farting.
Take off Epc valves and blank off carb tops properly, They bleed air to the carb tops in 2nd and 3rd gear which significantly slows acceleration.
Balance carbs, will give lovely smooth tickover and pick up if done properly.

That WILL sort it out.

However if it does'nt, the other boys comments about air leaks on the inlet stubs, or dirty carbs would be the place to look next.

Good luck, and I would'nt particularly diss Premier bikes over any other dealer in my experience.

PS. Change front sprocket to 16 tooth, for better general riding experience.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Had my 950 a couple of months now and love it. But I am wondering if it is running as well as it could. It seems pretty lumpy and not that smooth when accelerating and on a closed throttle there is a lot of popping (I like it, but should it do it as much??)

When I bought it, it had only done 1k miles in the past 18 months, so obviously sat around and not serviced since. But was in excellent condition - sold by Premier Bikes in Didcot - so apparently looked after. Any ideas?

Mine doesn't do it and it is standard with all the original plumbing intact. So I'd check carbs seating as well as any loose or split pipes on the Epc/Sas systems first. Has a previous owner altered the carb needles or changed jets? Might be worth checking they are all standard and give the carbs a good clean at the same time, there could be some carb gumming up with the bike having been stood so much over the last 18 months. Were the 1000 miles covered by regular short trips or has it stood for most of the 18 months and then used on a regular basis? If it's been stood for most of this time carb gumming is more likeley. I hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts