KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just had my 950sm 08 for a few months now not very confident with the front end very twitchy feels like it wants to wash out all the time & it did last week came of pride hurt more than anything else apart from the tank slapper it gave me.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My 990 felt that way when I just had it, after the suspension was set up prpoerly by an ex racer, it was nights and days!
There was (were) a thread here discussing about it. What I didi personally was going to opposite of what the manual suggested :eek:.

Basically, what he did was to focus on the balance of front and rear, so when the force exerted on the foot peg, the front and rear came down the same rate and evenly.

Not sure what everyone else's opinions are, but it works for me.:cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I bought my 950 the suspension was set very hard, harder than the recommended sport setting. I then reset to sport then to standard, then to half way beteween the standard and sport. At no time did the front feel about to wash out but feed back was vague on all settings. lowering the whole front by 10mm (pulling the forks 10mm up through the yolk clamps) as recommended by somone on here improved feel but has made the front livelier feeling, the bars waggling a lot more. But this never feels unsafe and is in my opinion a nice feeling. It feels loose to start with but that feeling is soon replaced with the feeling of lots of feed back info. If you not wot I mean? I don't ride on track but ride on a wide variety of A roads fast B roads and country lanes and the bike copes well with every thing from full lean roudabouts to pot holed tracks with no drama.

·
Administrator
9,160 Posts
I have found that by adjusting the preload on the front makes a BIG difference. On the Standard setting I think that it makes the bike much more difficult to turn and hold a line. Whereas setting the preload to zero (I think this is turning clockwise all of the way) really sharpens up the hole deal. I run mine with the preload on 1 and the rest of the bike set on KTM's sport settings. I an 13.5 stone and use Michelin Pilots Powers.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
ive had mine using KTM666's documented setting for a while but i think i may have to reset to base as the front feels really harsh and unsetteled through bumps whilst cornering. but also zero preload set. i havent tried the 10mm trick so may do that and go back to standard sport setting but with less preload. am tempted to take it somewhere for expert tweaking, sounds like its worth every penny.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just a daft one, but it caught me out recently, check rear tyre pressure! I had a slow puncture, but it felt like the front end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
Just had my 950sm 08 for a few months now not very confident with the front end very twitchy feels like it wants to wash out all the time & it did last week came of pride hurt more than anything else apart from the tank slapper it gave me.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Hi, wot bike were you riding b4 ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personaly i find on here they tell you to run the 8" travel, i cant see the point unless using of road. I runn the sport setting and it seems to be fine. I've also been poo-poo'ed for sugesting the need for a steering dampner. But i shall be fitting one the first reasonable cost 1 i find.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi..I have set mine to KTM666`s settings with 15mm yoke drop down forks. Much better, but I still get a wobble/weave at 100 mph, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Personaly i find on here they tell you to run the 8" travel, i cant see the point unless using of road. I runn the sport setting and it seems to be fine. I've also been poo-poo'ed for sugesting the need for a steering dampner. But i shall be fitting one the first reasonable cost 1 i find.
.........then clip ons and rear sets

1 - 12 of 12 Posts