KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a trip to Loch Fyne this weekend the bike developed a strange whirring metallic rattle from the right handside of the bottom end of the engine. This was a kind of hollow rattle but was not rythmical (hard to describe really) and kicked in more when I blipped the throttle. It gradually got worse and then mysteriously disappeared again following my 500 mile trip home. It has now disappeared at idle but happens sometimes when the engine is revved. Could this be something to do with the starter clutch? If the engine doesn't fire it makes the horrible clanking noise but it's always done this and so far I've ignored it. The bike is performing fine. Any ideas before I begin the stripdown?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's not just something daft - like the bolt at the y junction cover on ur exhaust has fallen out ? allowing the cover to vibe on the exhaust ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't think it's anything daft. Definitely from the right side of the engine. What is a clutch booster? The clutch seems to be working OK.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Hmm. Check that your clutch plate bolts are tight & that you haven got one backing out.

Not sure the booster should make any noise - youre mostly likely to notice that as the clutch being a bit "grabby" when you try and feather the clutch starting off.
Nowt to do with the starter torque limiter - that only makes noise when youre starting (and it slips). Replace that anyway - but for different reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts