KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any one using their 950SM for a bit of light off roading i.e. gravel tracks, unmade roads etc, I'm not talking full on mud. If so what tyres are you using. I want to take my bike off through the country lanes around Essex where many of them are gravel and moss covered and want to improve the grip. Most of the tyres advertised for SM only go upto a 160 rear where as mine needs a 180. I am currently using Michelin Pilots. Any one got any ideas?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use Dunlop D616, love them! Great n the rain, sufficient for the occasional off road, and stickier than the Scorpion it came with.

Dunlop TireD616

·
Registered
81 Posts
On advrider there's an extensive thread started by a guy taking his SM off road on most of his rides, look for the thread 950 Supermoto Chronicles

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Dunlop D616, love them! Great n the rain, sufficient for the occasional off road, and stickier than the Scorpion it came with.

Dunlop TireD616
As far as I can tell these are not available in the UK. Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oops, that's no good.

Got them in the US. Try them when they become available, best tyres for me thus far.

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent an email today to Dunlop UK and they have said that you can get the D616 through Harley Davidson dealers in the UK. This is because Harley in the UK also sell Buell and those tyres were fitted on early Ulysses models. I got a price from Warr's in London of £380 fitted which seems expensive. My other options are the original Scorpion Syncs or possible Avon Pro Extreme Rain tyres. The Avons look as if they have a very aggressive tread pattern but as they are rain tyres will wear quickly. They are £280 fitted. Has anyone tried these and know if they are any good? They guy from Avon said they would do the job for light off roading but will wear 50% quicker than standard stereet tyres.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I sent an email today to Dunlop UK and they have said that you can get the D616 through Harley Davidson dealers in the UK. This is because Harley in the UK also sell Buell and those tyres were fitted on early Ulysses models. I got a price from Warr's in London of £380 fitted which seems expensive. My other options are the original Scorpion Syncs or possible Avon Pro Extreme Rain tyres. The Avons look as if they have a very aggressive tread pattern but as they are rain tyres will wear quickly. They are £280 fitted. Has anyone tried these and know if they are any good? They guy from Avon said they would do the job for light off roading but will wear 50% quicker than standard stereet tyres.
OK it's lighter but same idea, I used to run PXR front Distanzia rear on the 690 SMC off road (but looks like the Distanzia only goes up to 160) PXR rear on a 690 only lasts about 500 - 1000 miles on the road so I wouldn't bother with that on a 950 :D

If I were going to do it I'd go PXR front anything you like on the back, surprising how far you can get but the PXR is not going to be gripping loads on the corners it soon gets clogged up!

One Man and his Moto

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK it's lighter but same idea, I used to run PXR front Distanzia rear on the 690 SMC off road (but looks like the Distanzia only goes up to 160) PXR rear on a 690 only lasts about 500 - 1000 miles on the road so I wouldn't bother with that on a 950 :D

If I were going to do it I'd go PXR front anything you like on the back, surprising how far you can get but the PXR is not going to be gripping loads on the corners it soon gets clogged up!

One Man and his Moto
I don't plan to go full on mud, what I want do to is tear around the lanes which are tarmac with moss, gravel and other shite and explore down the farm tracks which are going to be compact gravel. I know that full on mud filled green lanes will be a nightmare on a 190Kgs bike so i will avoid them. I just want to be able to go 'most places' and it just seems that as I need to get new tyres to replace them with another set of Michelin Pilots is a lost opportunity.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Can't say much about Avon Pro Extreme Rain tyres, since I do not have personal experience. Only heard from my garage regarding the quick wear.
Bike had Scorpion on initially, did not have much trouble on gravel and 5 cm mud, but did not feel great either.

With the difference in prices, you might also want to take into consideration of how they wear, if cheaper tyres do wear quicker as well? My Scorpion last 6,200 km, yet to see how the D616 last,...

Here's how they look mounted, FYI:

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your comments and advice guys. I have decided that i will have ago with the Scorpion Syncs. I have tried to read as many articles as possible and they seem to come our quite well across a wide variety of conditions. The tyre choice is limited if you don't want a sports bike tyre.

The tyre I really wanted was the PXR's but they are not likely to last more than a few hundred mile and that just ain't on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has anybody tried fitting the wheels from a 990 ADVENTURE to the a SM / SMT

I would like to do a tour of Namibia and knobblies will be a prerequisite

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anybody tried fitting the wheels from a 990 ADVENTURE to the a SM / SMT

I would like to do a tour of Namibia and knobblies will be a prerequisite
I have found the tyre choice is really limited for the 17" wheels on the SM / SMT. For that kind of tour you are going to have to do somehting more radical so a wheel change etc could be the way, but as zzzak said your looking at a 950 se

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/ktm_950_super_enduro_3.jpg

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
can you fit 950 enduro wheels to the SM??
I think that the 950se has only a single disk at the front whereas the sm has two disks, I don't think that they are interchangeable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts