KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing the first service my self over Christmas.

Anyone done this? How easy it is.

It's the valve check that I'm nervy about.

What tools are needed?

·
Registered
125 Posts
wished i,ve had done mine myself and saved meself £250 squids,damn,although in saying that i was,nt sure if the bike was a keeper or not.its a keeper so i,ll be getting my spanners out in future.best of luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
Na valves wont need doing you'll probably need a engine rebuild knowing the build quality of ktm pieces of shite. If that piece of crud of mine was on fire i wouldnt piss on it. they are wank!!
not all of em,you bought a friday afternoon bike,shit happens.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Good socket set , spanners etc , torque wrench , feelers ....But wouldnt of thought the valves wouldnt need doing but easy to check.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine supposedly needed a couple of shims but who knows? I took it to the dealer for the first service to keep up the warranty but will consider doing it myself next time.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Don't you need the stamp for the warranty, how old is it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would worry about reliability and durability of any engine that needed its valve clearances adjusting at a first service, especially one with a bucket/shim design. Triumph Tiger, Kawasaki Z650- clearances all still in spec after 20,000m. Ducati 749 & Multistrada same after 10,000m.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike is at 600 miles

The dealer will stamp for me if I do the work

They say that they check the shims/clearance, i'm sure they wouldn't need doing but it wouldn't hurt to check, especially if it highlights serious issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if main stealers said that they needed doing to make a few £££

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yes can highly recommend the XBIKE treatment , give chris a call and he'll send you the jets ,filter and instructions (remove sas/epc at same time ) . Its quite easy to do if your mechanicly minded , took me most of a afternoon and i took my time ..

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yer, im gona invest me thinks........just short of £100 posted.

Any ideas where to get the bobbins that screw the swinger, my hydraulic stand aint up to the 950 due to the placement of the frame.

I wouldn't want to fit this stuff with the bike on its side stand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
^ This bloke dont seem to happy :wanker:
Who the hell are you calling a wanker?, my remarks are about bikes and my personal oppinion of my ktm!!!! not about anyone in person. people like you are all the same hiding behind a forum, i thought these forums were freedom of speech about bikes and not about slaging people off personaly. But if you want to start slaging me off i now think you are a Knob sucking prick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My appologies to everyone else on this thread and forum.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Who the hell are you calling a wanker?, my remarks are about bikes and my personal oppinion of my ktm!!!! not about anyone in person. people like you are all the same hiding behind a forum, i thought these forums were freedom of speech about bikes and not about slaging people off personaly. But if you want to start slaging me off i now think you are a Knob sucking prick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My appologies to everyone else on this thread and forum.
Have a sence of humour mate , i dont dislike anyone on this forum and have not called you anything but take it as you wish ......:D The little wanker smiley is on the forum for a reason , ive had it posted to me a few times and not taken offence...Chill out dude ..

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
And if you come on a ktm forum and slag off the bikes most of us own, be prepared for some constructive feedback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts