KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to site and KTM's

Just bought it, first time back on the public roads in 2 yrs.

Are their any sensibly priced steering dampers on the market for these?

If so where do i get one and what sort of money we talkin about ?

Experiencing wild slappers at 100+ also in high speed cornering. Practicaly having to let go the bars to calm it down. :eek:

I have dialed the suspension to sports if that makes any odds ? :confused:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
you'll get used to riding it out. keeps it exciting ;)

sure others will be along with some useful information. also try a search...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dropped the front 10mm and it livened the front end up! It never feels scary but definately moves around more. Turns in with more feel tho and the ride is more involving and fun. I've ridden bikes in need of a damper, the 950 just feels "expressive". It chats to you via the bars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello all, new to site and KTM's
Practicaly having to let go the bars to calm it down. :eek:
Heya thegasman, firstly welcome to the forum.

Not sure of your riding experience but maybe you are holding on too tight causing a human induced slapper.

Have you tried riding the bike loser on the bars?, also maybe soften the suspension slightly, check your loaded static sag (with you on the bike) and balance your rebound and compression damping (particularly compression) between front and rear as this is a major contributor to front end problems by not having the back end sorted.

Tell us more about what you have or haven't done, your sag measures etc, these bikes are rock solid and generally don't need a damper, lets sort your handling first before applying a sticky plaster over a wound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have set the bike up with the given sport settings all round, i have also droped the forks abt 5mm. Running 34psi in the front tyre 32 back. I am very consious of trying not to grip 2 hard on the bars. Although difficult to hold on at times. Actualy find myself steering with my knees, feet & body weight. I havn't measured the loaded sag as yet. I would have to say it has made no differance from stock susp set up.

It might just be that my riding style needs to change as i have been racing stock 600's the last 2yrs on short circuit ? I am used to high corner speeds and am aggresive through and on exit. Being 15st also determines that the brakes get a pounding too. Although they are superb

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wot u think about your hypmotd ? was seriousley thinkin about 1
That is why I have a SMR now, my sixth gear hardening came of at 11979 km and went through the engine on the Hyper, they are a cool bike but shite finished and mine was an S, the suspension is way less than average let alone an S thus your SM is far better with WP.

So with your suspension, so you are no riding dummy then based on your track experience so that is cool.

Front tyre maybe 32psi rear 32 is fine, forks should have a static sag with you on board of 50 mm, rear 40 mm.

Once these have been set correctly then tune in your compression damping from soft, bring it in firstly to your preferential feel and secondly to your road conditions for both front and rear, balance is the key here so you are not transferring any undue load or issue front to back.

Set you rebound for both front and rear so you are not pogoing or packing.

Running your fork caps level with the top triple with lazy the rake and make it more stable but will be slower to turn in, I have mine down 10 mm and love it.

Lastly, your riding style will need to change from the 6 hundy but it sound like you are doing this now, try to relax steer it with counter steering thrown in, big wide bars are great but we can induce too much load on them without realizing it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
TITAX have a steering damper for SMR

and

They are releasing the SMT TITAX damper in Autumn (anydaynow)
Its on my shopping list

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Welcome..........mines a Cider TA

You do not need a steering damper...check all these points before you do anything

1. Are the wheels are in line ?
2.Try 30psi front and rear
3.Go back to standard 'road' settings (just for now) pre load rebound & compression and do not drop forks through yokes untill this is sorted, as it will make it even more twichy.....when everything is ok ....this is the way to go as this speeds up the steering / weights the front wheel and is a 'Must Do' to the 950
4. Which tyres do you have? are they worn? are they a matched pair?
5. Head race bearings...Ok?
6. Comming from a 'sports' bike you may be sitting to far back (the further towards the front the better) ALMOST RIDING THE TANK ...WHEN YOU ARE GOING FOR IT
7. Grip with legs not hanging on to bars...putting as much of your weight through the foot rests as you can

All of the above can cause the problem you have....................with the bike in 'tip top condition' you can go very radical on settings and still only experience a little wobble......you will get use to it...and it does not get worse....as said by others its just the bike talking to you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the advice. I'll try some of these tips and see how i get on.
Dunlop Sportmax 3's - changing to met rtech inter-acts.
Riding the tank already
Bearings OK
will try tyre pressures
bike felt too soft and bouncy on the standard set up 4 me ??

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
could try KTM666's settings (search) ive got them on mine and overall its good, maybe a bit too harsh on the front for me but close.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
bike felt too soft and bouncy on the standard set up 4 me ??
It will .....you had 4" of suspension travel before............you have 8" now... thats why its the best thing made on bumpy B roads....the suspension is so good you can set it up like a sports bike............but why would you want to

Below is my settings (they are for 950SD not SDR......they work on the 990SD as well)

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/45499-950sm-front-suspension-setup-2.html

The most important settings were ....Taking off all front pre load and backing the rear rebound damping right off the rest are personal choice

When I did track days on it, I used Pirelli Diablo SC1 aand SC2 (same as Race Tec) great on the track but on the road the best tyre was 2CT warm up fast and good in the wet (they go off after a while on track so not so good there)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts