KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 950smr and absolutely love it, but i am not using it enough.
the bike has only done 1800miles. in the area where i live there are
quite a few green lanes, therefore thinking of 690 enduro R. IS THIS
A GOOD IDEA. ?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I suppose it all depends on whether the 950 only did 1800 miles because you don't have the time to ride. If that is the case you might just end up with a different bike in the garage where the 950 used to be?!

If it's not a time thing and you prefer laning over road riding then it sounds like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Well the question to ask yourself is "why are you not using it enough"

The answer to that will tell you if it's a good or bad idea.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you'd end up with off road tyres for green laning that dont last on teh roads .... or road tyres for teh enduro bike that are no good when wet on the lanes ...

or have 2 sets of wheels and all the noise that goes with it ... personally ... green laning is great ..viva la TRF ...

Welcome to the TRF

(but i have a 950sm to go to work on :) )

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know but like to go for a sunday blast as well
so thought the enduro would be a good option.
also servicing is minimal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like the 690r and I am sure it would be a lot of fun with road tyres and great off road as well, but its the changing the wheels thing that would bother me every time I wanted to head out. With limited time I like to just go when I want. Not sure what your going to need to pay for a 690r but changing bikes isn't cheap, how about you use the cash to get a either 400, 450 or 525 exc. You wont mind if you drop it so much and it would be lighter offroad so unless your David Knight, it will be just as quick ;)
This might not be as daft as it sounds as insurance companies normally charge a minimal amount for a second bike and road tax below 600cc is also cheap. RFS engine is tough and pretty easy to work on, and lets face it changing the oil and filter every two rides is a dam sight easier than changing both wheels and the front brake!

Now this really is the best bit... you will have TWO bikes, and that really is double the fun!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been offered brand new 690r for £6250.00 otr but only offered £5500.00 for my 950smr.
My 950smr has only done 1800miles and is mint condition paid a lot more than that for it.
also will have to have alarm fitted to the 690r as i had trouble insuring the 950 without one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would buying a 690smc and fitting intermediate tyres do the job for some occasional dry green lanes

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have been offered brand new 690r for £6250.00 otr but only offered £5500.00 for my 950smr.
My 950smr has only done 1800miles and is mint condition paid a lot more than that for it.
also will have to have alarm fitted to the 690r as i had trouble insuring the 950 without one.
If the alarm is £400 fitted then your up to £1,150. I would imagine you would need to spend between £1200 to £1800 to get a reasonable exc - still would go with two bikes! But that 690R is one cool bike ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts