KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
ING
Love your analogy on your bikes...
Perhaps try to find an unmolested 950 Adv as I reckon they are rarer than the SE of which there is 89 in the UK 44 registered on road and 45 on Sorn (TBC... If anyone knows please correct my last) it's hard to figure it out on the how many left.com website as it only mentions the adv S but doesn't list the standard Adv as a singular item as far as I can decipher and eBay bikes are becoming less and less for the same kind of money.
I believe prices have bottomed on 950 Advs so don't think you'd loose and some bike mag will run an issue on them in 2025 and the price will rocket up same as the 80s jap bikes and 90s dirt and sports bikes... & More closely related the dogs of bikes Tenere and Elephant and the legendary Africa Twin leapt up in 12 months my 2nd hand 1994 bought it for £1000 sold for 3.5 times what I paid for it ( obviously still never made a profit because of the money spent on it.. And not saying the price will do as well with these but hope you picking up what I'm putting down) 10 years later because of some bike mag spread.

There's only a handful posted on this thread too...I'm certain most got fed up fixing them and a lot would have been broken over the years
Me personally... I think their time is still to come...
The era... Last off the Low tech legends...
My 950 adv goes on the road tomorrow. I've owned it since 2015 and have done 26000 miles on it, only time off road was at the Lc8 rally in Italy. Last year with the Ulez rules coming in I bought an 990 Smt. I tried to sell the 950 but because of the mileage (42000) had no real interest so sorned it.I wouldn't accept the silly offers. Riverbank Motorcycles do the compliance test for the Ulez and with a bit of welding, today it passed . So tomorrow its a new Mot and tax then back on the road it goes. Thursday a long ride to Brighton to get the seat from Hell remade.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My 950 adv goes on the road tomorrow. I've owned it since 2015 and have done 26000 miles on it, only time off road was at the Lc8 rally in Italy. Last year with the Ulez rules coming in I bought an 990 Smt. I tried to sell the 950 but because of the mileage (42000) had no real interest so sorned it.I wouldn't accept the silly offers. Riverbank Motorcycles do the compliance test for the Ulez and with a bit of welding, today it passed . So tomorrow its a new Mot and tax then back on the road it goes. Thursday a long ride to Brighton to get the seat from Hell remade.....
Steve
That's flipping awesome... I hope you get it completed and post up some pics of the finished article.
42,000 would put people off which is sad that's the impression KTM give. I would quite happily load mines up and ride to the other end of the world tomorrow morning with confidence that it would make it..... But any attempt to sell with just shy of 50,000 on it would be a fail.... I'd definitely buy one with high mileage from a sincere owner.
What seat work are you having done?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thursday has been cancelled due to work . There is a company that rebuilds the seat top with thick memory foam. Works better than gel apparently. New decals from Mr Crispy and it will be done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thursday has been cancelled due to work . There is a company that rebuilds the seat top with thick memory foam. Works better than gel apparently. New decals from Mr Crispy and it will be done.
What is it with work getting in the way of the important things in life...

I've had Saddlemen, touratech high and low now on my second Renazco but covered by a Selle della vella to make it waterproof (could never settle on the right one for me) all the seats were good in their own way initially but when wet and stayed wet for days became less comfortable over time.

Well happy with my current configuration feels more like an exc seat but comfier than anything else I've used...seats are definitely a personal choice, I personally like much more weight going through the Pegs than my spine and higher and narrower than stock up front for standing and knee control ....

Good luck with it
Please let us know how the memory foam goes and how it turns out..

·
Premium Member
6,799 Posts
IIRC, seat on mine is by 'saddlecraft' bought it 2nd hand off this forum. All day comfy.

·
Premium Member
6,799 Posts
It looks like 950 SM's are creeping up in price ..... perhaps more are looking at the more reliable simplicity of these earlier bikes. Ok, they (adv/sm/se) have their faults but they are by and large established and ok to rectify.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Had a 990 SMT between the 950 ADV and 1090R, great bike but nothing like an Adventure to ride. I found it a bit of a one trick pony, very much a Supermoto still with all thats good and bad about that. huge fun but annoying and fussy in equal measure.
The 1090R is a great bike, it does'nt have that extra something the 950 had it which I think is authenticity, I do think you're right about the future value, another 5 years and minters will be worth strong money to the classic fans.
Not my old 950 which was about as far from mint as you could get.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Funnily enough I was just eyeing up a 790 today...wondering if I should upgrade..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
I dug my adventure out of the garage for the first time in over a year. Took her off road on some very wet, steep, slippery lanes. It still amazes me how capable a bike that heavy is off-road!
I’m currently running a Mefo super explorer on the back and MT21 upfront. I’ve got a narrow rim for the rear and want an aggressive mud tyre. What’s the best rear tyre these days?I’m not too bothered if it’s road legal as I have another set of wheels with trail attacks on for road work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I dug my adventure out of the garage for the first time in over a year. Took her off road on some very wet, steep, slippery lanes. It still amazes me how capable a bike that heavy is off-road!
I’m currently running a Mefo super explorer on the back and MT21 upfront. I’ve got a narrow rim for the rear and want an aggressive mud tyre. What’s the best rear tyre these days?I’m not too bothered if it’s road legal as I have another set of wheels with trail attacks on for road work.
I reckon if you don't have too far to ride to get off road try Michelin Deserts or possibly MotoZ tractionator Rallz MK2 140 80 18 if you need to ride further (I have a set of MotoZ tractionators but not fitted yet...) I've been running Mefo /TKC for ever... Like yourself I felt like trying something new... .. When I can be @rsed and the weather up here improves I will hopefully get round to actually fitting them...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts