KTM Owners Forum banner

950 still going strong. (after 14 years)

6K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  charmanbaz 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Not been on here for about a decade...

MODS....
Talon Hubs Excel rims
Floating front discs sintered pads heil brake lines
Samco hoses
K-Tech front suspension upgrades to accommodate the extra fuel and weight.
Rigid industries aux lights
Rade Garage headlight
Rade underseat storage box
Renazco Seat topped up with a Selle della velle waterproof cover (fed up with soggy seats renezco and saddleman are sponges definitely not designed for wet countries)
Orange instrument lenses
BRP triple clamp /Scott's damper
Safari + Rear Aux tank (49 liters)
Titanium full 2-1
Pivot Pegz
JD Jetting kit
Rottweiler air intake
Quick turn throttle
2011 rear shock (K-Tech rebuilt 2 weeks ago)
FP racing Adjustable levers
Facet fuel pump

Not the most aesthetically pleasing but it's lighter faster and stronger and I fuckin Loves it....

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Keith
Many thanks.

Coming up for 50,000 hard miles but well serviced.

Was also running several other bikes through that time hence the low mileage.

Seems everyone is very techy these days riding computers.

Nearly bought a new confangled contraption a couple of times... but in the end obviously stayed with carbs.

Better the Devil you know I guess.

#6 ·
LOL Sounds about right... I'm usually as stoned as the Exxon Valdez skipper o_O...... I call it the fuel bowser...

The Safari tanks also remove the need for crash bars which in turn reduces weight and apparently even with the rear tank full the bike is still lighter than running standard cans.

Suspension was upgraded to accept the additional fuel and weight when the fuel comes down to a lower level the bike performs amazingly off-road and when full on road it's fully planted.

One of the best Mods I performed (had black ones before that nightmare in the heat and trying to see fuel levels put little fuel balls in the tank supposedly to let you see the level but couldn't see shit) for me... mechanicals & practically are more important than aesthetics....

I loves my Adventure.... I knows it has its flaws but... hey ho... don't they all...

Reactions: Miner
#8 ·
Dude that's wicked really like that without all the bars on it... 230kg mental that the concept of building a bike that heavy for off-road even came up in.. Still they were a benchmark for others in modern times and chuffed they did build them.
Not sure how many 950's are left whether they be S or non S

#18 ·
gavp
You have me in suspends
Any pic's... Or good news stories about it
We’ve had a few adventures in that time but haven’t used it for 2 years now. IoM, France a few times, Austria, Germany, Norway, Denmark etc.

Hopefully will remedy this year, just need to put the tanks/plastics back on and a few other minor things before mot.

Looking forward to back to back with the 1290.
No pictures on this phone unfortunately.

#11 ·
Absolutelty loved this old girl but after 10 years and over 60,000 miles it had a few issues to sort and I just did'nt have the time or motivation to sort out, and also fancied a change.

So, after trying some alternatives, 350 EXC and an SMT I finally settled on this 1090R Adventure.

Never thought I'd sell the 950, but there is life after the 950, not better, not worse, just a more modern take on the same concept.

Attachments

#12 ·
Frog
Your 950 looks really nice and well placed in that photo.

I know what you mean about issues and doubts about moving on and it was specifically a 1090 (but I'm no Chris Birch) I was going to buy but everytime I tried to list my 950 I just couldn't do it and I've owed a lot of nice bikes and let them go with ease.
Guess I'm stuck in a 950 rut... But I can think of much worse places to be...
I have enough spare parts to keep it running for a long long time to come including a complete full low mileage engine and I've moved all the electrical parts like the stater relay up into the glove box it has always got me home even if I have had to work on it during a trip..

#15 ·
I've seen 460 miles and then fuelled up.
I had the black Safaris before the clear but you didn't know how much fuel was remaining until the light came on. I usually do my big distances in Europe at night so no panicking for fuel stops or shut fuel stations.

But my @rse won't do close to those miles anymore. Osteoarthritis put end to that.

Reactions: newsh
#19 ·
Love seeing the older KTM's out there, they were off my radar when new, got an 1190 as I fancied something different and the local dealer had £3k off them - since had a 1090 (Although Mrs rode it more than me) and now a 1290.

Thinking of sticking an SMT in the garage as they are at reasonable money now, picky on colour and condition so might take a while to find the right one, but think an older KTM might be a keeper....

...The 950 / 990 Adventures have proved them to be fairly durable and reliable - certainly trust the last generation over my 1290, impressive though it is, there is just way too much shit to go wrong so it will be gone before it is likely to cst more to maintain than my mortgage payments.

#20 ·
ING
Love your analogy on your bikes...
Perhaps try to find an unmolested 950 Adv as I reckon they are rarer than the SE of which there is 89 in the UK 44 registered on road and 45 on Sorn (TBC... If anyone knows please correct my last) it's hard to figure it out on the how many left.com website as it only mentions the adv S but doesn't list the standard Adv as a singular item as far as I can decipher and eBay bikes are becoming less and less for the same kind of money.
I believe prices have bottomed on 950 Advs so don't think you'd loose and some bike mag will run an issue on them in 2025 and the price will rocket up same as the 80s jap bikes and 90s dirt and sports bikes... & More closely related the dogs of bikes Tenere and Elephant and the legendary Africa Twin leapt up in 12 months my 2nd hand 1994 bought it for £1000 sold for 3.5 times what I paid for it ( obviously still never made a profit because of the money spent on it.. And not saying the price will do as well with these but hope you picking up what I'm putting down) 10 years later because of some bike mag spread.

There's only a handful posted on this thread too...I'm certain most got fed up fixing them and a lot would have been broken over the years
Me personally... I think their time is still to come...
The era... Last off the Low tech legends...

#24 ·
What is it with work getting in the way of the important things in life...

I've had Saddlemen, touratech high and low now on my second Renazco but covered by a Selle della vella to make it waterproof (could never settle on the right one for me) all the seats were good in their own way initially but when wet and stayed wet for days became less comfortable over time.

Well happy with my current configuration feels more like an exc seat but comfier than anything else I've used...seats are definitely a personal choice, I personally like much more weight going through the Pegs than my spine and higher and narrower than stock up front for standing and knee control ....

Good luck with it
Please let us know how the memory foam goes and how it turns out..

#28 ·
Had a 990 SMT between the 950 ADV and 1090R, great bike but nothing like an Adventure to ride. I found it a bit of a one trick pony, very much a Supermoto still with all thats good and bad about that. huge fun but annoying and fussy in equal measure.
The 1090R is a great bike, it does'nt have that extra something the 950 had it which I think is authenticity, I do think you're right about the future value, another 5 years and minters will be worth strong money to the classic fans.
Not my old 950 which was about as far from mint as you could get.

Reactions: surms
#32 ·
I dug my adventure out of the garage for the first time in over a year. Took her off road on some very wet, steep, slippery lanes. It still amazes me how capable a bike that heavy is off-road!
I’m currently running a Mefo super explorer on the back and MT21 upfront. I’ve got a narrow rim for the rear and want an aggressive mud tyre. What’s the best rear tyre these days?I’m not too bothered if it’s road legal as I have another set of wheels with trail attacks on for road work.

#34 ·
I reckon if you don't have too far to ride to get off road try Michelin Deserts or possibly MotoZ tractionator Rallz MK2 140 80 18 if you need to ride further (I have a set of MotoZ tractionators but not fitted yet...) I've been running Mefo /TKC for ever... Like yourself I felt like trying something new... .. When I can be @rsed and the weather up here improves I will hopefully get round to actually fitting them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.