KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me why I should/shouldn't dispose of my 2005 950 Adventure and get a NoS 790 Adv (base model with low mudguard) at a very low price (cheaper than a T700 Yamaha)

Plus points of the 790: slightly lighter, lower, more economical, longer service interval, it's new

Plus points of the 950: it's a genuine KTM 950, I've got all the stuff I need to configure it for travel (tank bag, Givi boxes), I can service it at home, there's no silly electronics, it doesn't look like a squashed locust, I enjoy riding it and it never makes me feel tired (on the road, anyway).

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have just had the same dilemma...just sold my 990r which I had for 6 or 7 years and B4 that a standard 990.
I sold it as I had a great price for it and wanted to downsize for a lighter more manageable bike for the odd off road excursion and odd tour. The 990 is a beast off road for me with dodgy knees and age creeping to 60. So......I have looked at 790r and sat on one it feels smaller, same weight ish and lower down...its still there tho when you need to pick it up. 690 enduro is the way I'm pointing, make it o to a mini adventure..50 kilo light, can manage a big stint of road to get to where I need to be. But still looking at 790r's :eek: :censored: can't help.my self. Good luck with your choices

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both!

Makes sense....but I do (or did when we were allowed) use the 950 as an airport taxi for business travel....park for free outside the terminal and stroll inside while others were being fleeced £40 a day for parking.
Even better on the way back as no hanging around waiting for a bus.
Is there a 3-box detachable hard luggage solution for the 690R, or will the petrol tank fall off if I put any weight on it?
Same question on the AJP PR7?
Or should I just admit that at 61 and with a pacemaker and a buggered knee that it's time to buy a Royal Enfield 650 (which I've ridden and found very charming)?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks to you both!

Makes sense....but I do (or did when we were allowed) use the 950 as an airport taxi for business travel....park for free outside the terminal and stroll inside while others were being fleeced £40 a day for parking.
Even better on the way back as no hanging around waiting for a bus.
Is there a 3-box detachable hard luggage solution for the 690R, or will the petrol tank fall off if I put any weight on it?
Same question on the AJP PR7?
Or should I just admit that at 61 and with a pacemaker and a buggered knee that it's time to buy a Royal Enfield 650 (which I've ridden and found very charming)?
If I, at 70 (yesterday, thanks) and a quad heart bypass, can have a Panigale R and a 950 Adventure, you can do anything!
(the KTM is a tad on the weighty side, mind! gawd help me if it goes over)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm...I just read this

The 790 is clearly cheap for a reason. The one person in real life I knew who had one was very pleased with it...then I asked him where it was and he said it started making noises so he got rid of it.

He's one of those guys who has the newest of everything, but I think in this case the issue with the bike may have been genuine.

I'll stick with what I've got: at least its problems are mostly fixed and you can actually get the parts.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I’ve been thinking the same thing, I got the 990, and was thinking of something lighter, smaller , the closest I got to it was a T7, but it’s still 200 kg and tall, it’s just a bit smaller!

Thought about the 701, but not sure on the motorway?!, so just thought sod it keep the 990

Most people love the 990/950’s, but mixed views on the 790, 690’s.

As long as it works well keep it , seen 990 /950 up for sale at 60-80,000 miles, so they can’t be that bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Having had both a 990 and a 790 Duke I would say there is not a lot between them. The 790 is a bit lighter and a bit less power but better handling. The 990 feels faster but in the real world point to point I would say that the 790 was better.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There was a youtube from South Africa which showed a pro MX rider beasting a 990 around a track, then a 790.
The fastest times were the same, down to a split second.
But, the rider reckoned he could keep up the pace consistently on the 790 lap-after-lap but didn't want to try again on the 990!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I sold my 2005 950 when I bought the 790r ,wish I hadn’t, the 790 is awesome and takes a beating from me but as has been mentioned the 950 just had more character .
But it started letting me down due to age so had to get newer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I love my 790 goes like fuck, spent a bit on it getting it as I like it, not the kind of money wazza throws at it but close

Had it since launch , screen replaced and rear brake pipe under recall , other than that no issues

Quick shifter and rally mode

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts