KTM Owners Forum banner

950 v 790

9K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  DavidS 
I’ve been thinking the same thing, I got the 990, and was thinking of something lighter, smaller , the closest I got to it was a T7, but it’s still 200 kg and tall, it’s just a bit smaller!

Thought about the 701, but not sure on the motorway?!, so just thought sod it keep the 990

Most people love the 990/950’s, but mixed views on the 790, 690’s.

As long as it works well keep it , seen 990 /950 up for sale at 60-80,000 miles, so they can’t be that bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 950 for 9 years and 60,000 miles and did everything it was intended for. It is an absolute classic and way better than 99% of the adv bikes out there.

After a couple of years on 1090r I'm now done over 5,000 miles on the 790r, there's no getting away it's an ugly fucker from the front but apart from that it is better in every measurable way than the 950. Lighter, better steering, suspension, brakes, comfort even. It does between 250 and 275 mile on a tank of 20 litres. Fuels perfectly everywhere, has cruise control and quickshifter which once you have them you wonder why all bikes don't come with it.

As handsome Rob says the one thing it can't beat the 950 in is character. Its is there but it takes a few thousand miles to find it, it feels a bit bland and sterile at first but once you've spent a bit of time with it, put a proper pipe on it, make it yours it starts to come through. When you're tired and want to chill out uts really smooth and easy with way more torque than you'd imagine low down, it'll happily pull from 2.5k revs in top. When you want to go daft it revs up and fucks off super quick and handles like a big supermoto, in fact similar to an SMT.

Things I love about it, smooth, really easy in town, lightness, 65 to 70 mpg everywhere. Handling on and off road

Things I don't like, looks from the front, wind buffeting. Thats about it.

It'll never be a 950 full of that indefinable Dakar character and heritage, loved mine to bits never thought I'd sell it, but in the end it just plain felt old .

There are worse options than a 790r out there.
Great review that frog!

Only time will tell if the 790’s will be a good bike , not heard any high mileage tails yet, as they are to new, but they don’t sound to bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.