KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Had a 950 for 9 years and 60,000 miles and did everything it was intended for. It is an absolute classic and way better than 99% of the adv bikes out there.

After a couple of years on 1090r I'm now done over 5,000 miles on the 790r, there's no getting away it's an ugly fucker from the front but apart from that it is better in every measurable way than the 950. Lighter, better steering, suspension, brakes, comfort even. It does between 250 and 275 mile on a tank of 20 litres. Fuels perfectly everywhere, has cruise control and quickshifter which once you have them you wonder why all bikes don't come with it.

As handsome Rob says the one thing it can't beat the 950 in is character. Its is there but it takes a few thousand miles to find it, it feels a bit bland and sterile at first but once you've spent a bit of time with it, put a proper pipe on it, make it yours it starts to come through. When you're tired and want to chill out uts really smooth and easy with way more torque than you'd imagine low down, it'll happily pull from 2.5k revs in top. When you want to go daft it revs up and fucks off super quick and handles like a big supermoto, in fact similar to an SMT.

Things I love about it, smooth, really easy in town, lightness, 65 to 70 mpg everywhere. Handling on and off road

Things I don't like, looks from the front, wind buffeting. Thats about it.

It'll never be a 950 full of that indefinable Dakar character and heritage, loved mine to bits never thought I'd sell it, but in the end it just plain felt old .

There are worse options than a 790r out there.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Alright Frog, not been about much on here.
Still in contact with a fair few of the knobbers on here just got out of the habit of seeing whats going on.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Had a 950 for 9 years and 60,000 miles and did everything it was intended for. It is an absolute classic and way better than 99% of the adv bikes out there.

After a couple of years on 1090r I'm now done over 5,000 miles on the 790r, there's no getting away it's an ugly fucker from the front but apart from that it is better in every measurable way than the 950. Lighter, better steering, suspension, brakes, comfort even. It does between 250 and 275 mile on a tank of 20 litres. Fuels perfectly everywhere, has cruise control and quickshifter which once you have them you wonder why all bikes don't come with it.

As handsome Rob says the one thing it can't beat the 950 in is character. Its is there but it takes a few thousand miles to find it, it feels a bit bland and sterile at first but once you've spent a bit of time with it, put a proper pipe on it, make it yours it starts to come through. When you're tired and want to chill out uts really smooth and easy with way more torque than you'd imagine low down, it'll happily pull from 2.5k revs in top. When you want to go daft it revs up and fucks off super quick and handles like a big supermoto, in fact similar to an SMT.

Things I love about it, smooth, really easy in town, lightness, 65 to 70 mpg everywhere. Handling on and off road

Things I don't like, looks from the front, wind buffeting. Thats about it.

It'll never be a 950 full of that indefinable Dakar character and heritage, loved mine to bits never thought I'd sell it, but in the end it just plain felt old .

There are worse options than a 790r out there.
Great review that frog!

Only time will tell if the 790’s will be a good bike , not heard any high mileage tails yet, as they are to new, but they don’t sound to bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Quick shifter with a acro is megga that little ignition cut as you shift , sounds megga , rally mode 3rd gear give it a rev blip the clutch , wheelie time , thinking about a air box from rotti
Yup the little chirp when it cuts the ignition is pretty cool. Think I will fit the Roti airbox after its 1 year service ( keep the warranty) going for a bit longer).
Another 10 dobbins in the midrange allegedly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Having gone from a 950 to a 790 I’ll agree with what’s been said, 790 is a better bike but doesn’t have the character of the 950…man’s bike that….after 18months upgraded to the 1290..missed the grunt of the LC8..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Fwiw, had my 950 for several years (58k miles) and loved everything about it. Eventually a few bits needed replacing, so took the plunge and got a 990R - great bike, but jeez that fuelling (after carbs, just so snatchy). Once the 1290 SAT came down to reasonable price point went down that route (awesome bike) and picked up a 690R for the muddy stuff- love it - so much lighter, with plenty of shove.

ps. I’ve bumped into my old 950 twice, once at HUBB (68k miles) and then at the Dragon Rally (83k miles) - great to see she’s still being used.

pps as per the OP, I’d keep the 950 and get a 690 / 701

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Agree with DJ above. Those 950’s now are like rocking horse shite!! I wanted a bike comfortable 2 up to go touring on with the missus. At the time I wanted the 1190, but couldn’t afford it. I bought a RT1200, worst bike I’ve ever owned, rode down to Spain, was dull, boring, heavy, cumbersome and uninspiring to ride.
it also broke down! I sold it when I got home and shopped my 950 in for the 1190 R, in hindsight I really should’ve bought another 950 and set it up for touring and kept my original 950 for laning, commuting etc.
I’d keep it pal and get a 690 or even a 790 if funds allow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently had the opportunity to allow my insurance to total my 990. I had unfortunately low sided it in freezing conditions, a twisty road, and knobby tires... simply pushed too hard. After a couple of days deliberating, I decided to fix up my 990 and not allow it to be totaled... there's nothing else on the market I like more. I have a buddy with an 890 Adventure R and he's always pushing that one on me, and I've ridden it, but I prefer my 990. I'm going to try to keep it for the duration.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts