KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cranked up the bike today and gone for a ride, within 3 miles the engine started to lose power and then it just died. I tried to start it but nothing and then the battery was dead after about 10 attempts to start. I know that the battery is a bit weak but I keep it on a Halfords trickle charger when not using the bike. I only ride at weekends. If the problem is due to a weak battery why would the bike just lose power mid ride in 4th at 60mph?

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
589 Posts
Take the fuel line off at the carb, can you hear it pressurising when you switch the ignition on?

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take the fuel line off at the carb, can you hear it pressurising when you switch the ignition on?
I am going to put it on charge over night and I will give that a go in the morning.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You only need to remove the hose at the pump, located on the left hand side on the tank behind the rad cowl ish you will see when you raise the tank

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I arrived home I connected the charger and left the bike for 2 hours. I have just tried to start it and it seems ok, it started 1st time. This probably discounts the fuel pump idea and points to the battery. But the question on my mind is why did it loose power whilst riding. I thought that once it was running the battery didn't really do that much. Could this be something to do with the alternator?

·
Registered
154 Posts
It could still be the fuel pump. I think that the carbs can become starved due to intermittent operation of the pump when riding. Best to take off the tank and inspect the pump contacts.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
when I arrived home I connected the charger and left the bike for 2 hours. I have just tried to start it and it seems ok, it started 1st time. This probably discounts the fuel pump idea and points to the battery. But the question on my mind is why did it loose power whilst riding. I thought that once it was running the battery didn't really do that much. Could this be something to do with the alternator?
The fuel pump can fail intermittently for a while.
Did it pop and backfire when it lost power and stopped?

How long were you able to crank the bike before it went flat? If the regulator/rectifier was knackered then your battery would run flat while riding ... but then I doubt you would be able to crank it after it stopped.

How many miles on the bike? The 950 fuel pumps last about 15k miles... some last longer, some less...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
How many miles has the bike done?

Sounds like fuel pump to me

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike has done 18k miles. Dealer serviced since new. When I think about it this is not the first time that this has happened. Probably about 3 months ago I went for a ride and about 5-6 miles into it i stopped at a petrol station for a few minutes, then when I left the same kinda thing happened. I made it back to the petrol station and then everything just seemed to sort it self out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 950SM spluttered to a stop one time then was fine for a few months, then did it again and a few months later started doing it a lot. It would lose power when you opened the throttle and chug along a bit on a closed throttle before stopping. After 20 mins stopped it would normally go again. This was at about 8K and was totally cured by a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm having what sounds to be the same problem as Big Daddy.

I've got 13k miles on mine. It's garaged kept and hasn't seen much rain for months. This is the first time it's given me any real trouble. I Installed a new fuel pump at 12,600 miles just to be on the safe side. Did one 400 mile ride, it ran perfectly. Once I returned home I put it away for the week keeping it on a trickle charger, as I always do. Went to go for a ride this past weekend, it had some trouble starting. Turned over fine but would cough, then abruptly stall. After several attempts it finally started and warmed to 4 bars as normal. Set off on my ride, about an 1/8 mile from home it tried to stall. I pulled the clutch in, gave it some revs, it picked back up again running as normal. It did this several more times. I road about 14 miles with the problem diminishing then returning. I returned home to try and get it sorted. I tested my new pump, it's pumping fuel, I drained the tank and refilled with new gas, the problem persisted. I took the battery down to have it tested and it reads to be fully charged. Reinstalled the battery and put it on the charger for the past two days. It started and ran fine today for about 10-12 minutes then after holding it at steady throttle around 4k Rpm it died again. It will restart for a moment then dies again. I suspect the battery as charging it seems to improve things for a short while. I've read that unless you test them under load you may still have a problem. Of course none of my local dealers have a battery in stock. I've ordered a replacement and will report back once it arrives later this week. I'm going to run it by the dealer and have them check the charging system once the new battery arrives.

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm having what sounds to be the same problem as Big Daddy.

I've got 13k miles on mine. It's garaged kept and hasn't seen much rain for months. This is the first time it's given me any real trouble. I Installed a new fuel pump at 12,600 miles just to be on the safe side. Did one 400 mile ride, it ran perfectly. Once I returned home I put it away for the week keeping it on a trickle charger, as I always do. Went to go for a ride this past weekend, it had some trouble starting. Turned over fine but would cough, then abruptly stall. After several attempts it finally started and warmed to 4 bars as normal. Set off on my ride, about an 1/8 mile from home it tried to stall. I pulled the clutch in, gave it some revs, it picked back up again running as normal. It did this several more times. I road about 14 miles with the problem diminishing then returning. I returned home to try and get it sorted. I tested my new pump, it's pumping fuel, I drained the tank and refilled with new gas, the problem persisted. I took the battery down to have it tested and it reads to be fully charged. Reinstalled the battery and put it on the charger for the past two days. It started and ran fine today for about 10-12 minutes then after holding it at steady throttle around 4k Rpm it died again. It will restart for a moment then dies again. I suspect the battery as charging it seems to improve things for a short while. I've read that unless you test them under load you may still have a problem. Of course none of my local dealers have a battery in stock. I've ordered a replacement and will report back once it arrives later this week. I'm going to run it by the dealer and have them check the charging system once the new battery arrives.
Keep us posted. good luck.

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much is a fuel pump for a 950 sm and how easy is it to fit. I am technical (run IT business) but not much experience with bike mechanics. I have a few simple tools like spanners, socket set etc. Would this be the right tools for the job?

·
Registered
148 Posts
How much is a fuel pump for a 950 sm and how easy is it to fit. I am technical (run IT business) but not much experience with bike mechanics. I have a few simple tools like spanners, socket set etc. Would this be the right tools for the job?
This details the tank removal
Garry's Guide: SAS & Canister Removal - KTM 950 SMR - ADVrider

This details the Facet pump installation, the stock one is a bit less trouble to fit.
Facet 40171

All the tools you'll need are in the stock tool kit really. 5mm allen, 6mm allen, 8mm hex, pliers, screw dirver.. pretty basic really. You are playing with gas which if done improperly can lead to injury or death. Pretty much exactly like ridding a motorcycle so do keep your wits about you. Do be sure you attach the fuel hoses correctly. You can get a detailed service manual from most KTM parts suppliers, it's worth a look.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts