KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I'm a new boy to this KTM site! I have a new found love for the big T's. its from getting back from a 10 day trip to germany with the lads, one of us had a 990 adventure, wasn't keen at first, weird lookin thing i thought. changed my mind when we rode through some mile long tunnels and then i heard it in full flight! I have that sound ingrainned in me, and from then on I know i NEED a KTM!:smokin:

THE PROBLEM IS WHICH ONE????

I love the look of both 950 supermoto and 990 superduke, both mental, both mens bikes, and i think ya have to be a bit tapped! which i am!:D:666:

I plan to go into europe every year on bike trips, which one would suit best for long trips?:confused:
dont matter about weekend riding cos it'll be flat arrrwtt what ever I get;)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
SMT fpr Europe trips might suit you better squire...does depend what you do with it etc.

I would go the SD as my choice with Akras.As mentioned the SMT or even the Adv if you fancied some off road capabilities into the bargain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most of the time in the uk I'll be going out for long day rides and maybe a few weekends up into scotland too,
only go once a year into europe.....................I'd go more but I dont think my wife would be too happy like!

Dont have the money for a SMT :-( so it'll be a used SM or SD, hopefully have about £5.5k for the new bike.

still mega undecided

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Check out my Links in Signature strip below ;)
950SM Blitzing Harz Mountains, Germany

1200 FZR, 690SD camera bike, and then
950SM enters stage left !!! :)

950SM ideal for weekend hooning AND trips
to Germany too :smokin:

990 does have more top-end rush than 950
but if it was top-end rush I needed I'da
bought a jap rocket ship!

950SM brilliant bike, excellent value,
future classic.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I've owned both. For two bikes that are so similar in parts, they are pretty different, but both will do what you want. The deciding factor is not "which bike" it's "which rider".

Bigger guys tend to suit the SM's riding position, and it's better for pillions and luggage. If you like Adventure bikes or learned offroad it'll also be more natural, but if you like track days, sports bikes, and/or streetfighters, then the SD is the bike for you, esp if you are under 5'7" as the SMs are quite tall (mind you, the SD is pretty tall compared to Jap bikes).

There is a huge power diff between the carbed 950SM and the injected 990 SD, although the carbed bike is easier to ride at lower speeds with smoother fuelling. In between these bikes sits the 990SM (as Simmo says) which is close in power to the standard SD.

At the end of the day you can buy either bike to do what you describe, and you'll never look back, so test ride both, and then buy with your heart not your head. After all if you wanted a practical bike you'd be looking at a VFR or 900 Hornet. This is about who you are, and what suits you.

For me it was the SD all the way... and now the SDR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
think my heart is telling me SM! but I'm going to be sensible about my choice this time
and test ride them both up in Newcastle at M&S motorcyles in a few weeks. then I'll know!...........well hopefully!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've owned both. For two bikes that are so similar in parts, they are pretty different, but both will do what you want. The deciding factor is not "which bike" it's "which rider".

Bigger guys tend to suit the SM's riding position, and it's better for pillions and luggage. If you like Adventure bikes or learned offroad it'll also be more natural, but if you like track days, sports bikes, and/or streetfighters, then the SD is the bike for you, esp if you are under 5'7" as the SMs are quite tall (mind you, the SD is pretty tall compared to Jap bikes).

There is a huge power diff between the carbed 950SM and the injected 990 SD, although the carbed bike is easier to ride at lower speeds with smoother fuelling. In between these bikes sits the 990SM (as Simmo says) which is close in power to the standard SD.

At the end of the day you can buy either bike to do what you describe, and you'll never look back, so test ride both, and then buy with your heart not your head. After all if you wanted a practical bike you'd be looking at a VFR or 900 Hornet. This is about who you are, and what suits you.

For me it was the SD all the way... and now the SDR.
I'm really not bothered about that top end rush now, I have a R1 jap rocket in the garage that I've got bored of! (trying to get rid now)
I love the twisties. I know after having a hornet for my first bike the wind might be hard work on the motorway............... but fook it!
I'll post news when I get one, it will happen just a matter of finding the right one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts