KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve ordered an Oberon clutch slave cylinder kit that’ll be with me next week.
Got me thinking instead of rebuilding the old magura master cylinder maybe I should look for an alternative.

Has anyone found a direct replacement? Maybe a newer component?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi.
I had a problem with my clutch on my 990, 2007 model. It got difficult selecting Neutral and my bitting point got lower n lower as I rode it.
I replaced my slave with an oberon in orange, looks great but only slightly improved the clutch action.
I then decided to put a repair kit into the master cylinder for around £40. This again only slightly improved the clutch action.
I did some research on here and realised that the 990 has 2 sizes of clutch master cylinder, a 10.5mm bore and a 11mm bore but the cylinder is stamped, around where the lever pushrod enters the cylinder, on the outside to indicate the correct bore size.
Yep, you guessed it, I fitted a 10.5mm repair kit into my 11mm bore unit.
Its a common mistake, because all the info on the KTM spares websites and even my parts manual that came with the bike, stated I had a 10.5mm bore master cylinder fitted.
A really helpful guy, in a KTM shop in Northampton, bearing in mind I live in London but its the start of lockdown and no local KTM dealers were answering their phones, told me the best way to source the correct parts for your bike, is to use sparepartsfinder.ktm.com and enter your unique vin number.
I did this and it showed the 11mm master fitted which meant I needed a different repair kit.
Before I ordered another kit and spend another £40, I took the cylinder apart and noticed the inside bore was scored, thus the new repair kit would not work properly.
I ordered a new master at £260, fitted it and my clutch now works like a dream. Its a lot lighter than it was before.
Other guys on this forum have mentioned about having the origin cylinder re-sleeved, but during lockdown, I just wanted my bike back on the road.
Hope this info helps and let me know if you want any more info

1 - 2 of 2 Posts