KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My 2008 990 Adventure has developed a clutch problem.
For normal riding it's fine but clutch work in traffic or at the lights it's an issue....

If you pull the clutch lever back half way it's all ok, but then you feel a pressure loss after about 4 seconds and the lever automatically pulls in a bit more.
If you put it in gear and hold it and wait, the clutch starts to bite after about 15 seconds.
Years ago I had the stock slave cylinder replaced with an Oberon one.
The master cylinder has never been changed, the bike now has done 47000 miles.
I have backwards bled the system and it makes no difference,
So can anyone offer some advice on this please, is this a master cylinder or a slave cylinder problem.
One thing to note, there isn't any leakage from the master cylinder.

Thank you

Paul

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Have you checked your oil jet, above the front sprocket. Also the push rod from behind the slave. May have to take the side off a d check the plates. I did mine years ago and the last couple stainless spacer plates were scored, so I flipped em, all my plates were in tolerance BTW, that seemed to sort my problem, also reassured me that my clutch plates were fine. I used a bent metal welding rod to hook out the plates.
Other than what you have done, I can't help.
Have you searched on ADVrider forum, pretty good on there. Plus do a search on here too. Plenty of info.
Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Given the age and mileage i'd fit a m/cyl repair kit 50302032000 (£32) and work from there. Although you said that there were no leaks at the m/cylinder, are you losing fluid? I ask because fluid loss at the slave cylinder end can be hidden by the fact that escaping fluid can be trapped in the cavity created by the slave cylinder spacer. Also dragging the clutch (by only using half the lever travel) will cause the clutch pack to heat up and expand and potentially use up your remaining lever travel. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts