KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

So I bought the 990!!, so I’m legal to use the forum again, as I sold the other Ktm last year!

I’ve got a few questions for now

When I fit the bash plate do I have to remove any thing , or does it just bolt over what’s already there?
With the side crashbars, do I need longer bolts to fit them ?

It’s got the Rottweiler air box and filter, has anyone else got one on??

I’ll save changing the oil question’s for another day!, fuck me that’s a lot of work!!!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Congratulations man, lovely bike.
Pretty sure the bolts are longer but if it’s had bars in the past the longer ones might be in there already
Beware the lower bolts into the captive spring nuts, easy to cross thread.
It’s a while since I had my 990 and I’ve had an 1190 since which also had crash bars, I might be getting confused.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations man, lovely bike.
Pretty sure the bolts are longer but if it’s had bars in the past the longer ones might be in there already
Beware the lower bolts into the captive spring nuts, easy to cross thread.
It’s a while since I had my 990 and I’ve had an 1190 since which also had crash bars, I might be getting confused.
Thanks , I’ve not been through it yet, a few little things to do like a spring missing from the link pipe to akro’ end can, but it in good Knick for it age!
the bars etc ..were not on the bike, and no loose bolts in the box, but the ones on the bike don’t stick out or anything. I just wanted to know so I could order some if needed, instead of finding out at the time when it doesn’t fit!!, unless the bottom pan is removed and replaced by the aluminium one?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Bash plate should be a straight swap, there were a few makes that were dodgy when it comes to impacts from rocks underneath by the fixings if your doing major off road(do a search, ADV spec from memory, there is a mod you can do, as it cracks the sump I think)
Ref the crash bars, I'll assume that you have the claw nuts and bolts that fix to the frame.
The two that fit through the bottom of the tank need to be longer, mine are about 65mm long including the head. The ones the fit ontop of the battery plate, need spacers that go inbetween the crash bars and battery plate, with suitably longer bolts (obviously)
HTHs
The bars have a nack to fitting them. I just line them all up loosely, fit the claws to the frame, then go from front to rear. The tank ones are the worse (make sure the oe tank ones are tight...then remove bolt...making sure not to knock or move tank and slide the extra long one in, make sure you have a couple of hand turns on the thread first...fingers crossed lol. Do one side at a time...ie don't take or loosen both all bolts from both sides as the battery plate is a floating plate and will come misaligned.
No swearing mind:unsure:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
As you can see by the pics, the
20210405_151928.jpg
battery pate one has a spacer, and the lower tank one goes from being recessed to be exposed, so allow for the bolt length
Just come back from a 200 miler on B roads around Mid Wales lol

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The claw is secured by two bolts...one closes the claw and the other tightens it to frame...use gaffa tape to protect your paint or the plastic covers if you have them
16176328910762932329904263079868.jpg

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bash plate should be a straight swap, there were a few makes that were dodgy when it comes to impacts from rocks underneath by the fixings if your doing major off road(do a search, ADV spec from memory, there is a mod you can do, as it cracks the sump I think)
Ref the crash bars, I'll assume that you have the claw nuts and bolts that fix to the frame.
The two that fit through the bottom of the tank need to be longer, mine are about 65mm long including the head. The ones the fit ontop of the battery plate, need spacers that go inbetween the crash bars and battery plate, with suitably longer bolts (obviously)
HTHs
The bars have a nack to fitting them. I just line them all up loosely, fit the claws to the frame, then go from front to rear. The tank ones are the worse (make sure the oe tank ones are tight...then remove bolt...making sure not to knock or move tank and slide the extra long one in, make sure you have a couple of hand turns on the thread first...fingers crossed lol. Do one side at a time...ie don't take or loosen both all bolts from both sides as the battery plate is a floating plate and will come misaligned.
No swearing mind:unsure:
Here’s the plate I have,

am I right in saying the new plate replace this thin metal and plastic guard that are on the bike!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Here's the link about the Git/Adc Spec bash plate

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bloody el!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yeah, don’t bolt anything made by those twats to your bike unless you are only going to Starbucks!

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Weld86 bashplate. Dumpertruck tough. There is a school of thought that says that an impact on oem crash bars causes more damage than having none on there ....... mine are hanging in the shed covered in dust. Oil changes made easier by fitting a quick drain hose from the oil tank. Take petrol tank off every other change to clean tank filter (that is always clean anyway)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weld86 bashplate. Dumpertruck tough. There is a school of thought that says that an impact on oem crash bars causes more damage than having none on there ....... mine are hanging in the shed covered in dust. Oil changes made easier by fitting a quick drain hose from the oil tank. Take petrol tank off every other change to clean tank filter (that is always clean anyway)
What’s this quick drain hose?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve heard that about the bars causing more damage than without!, what’s the general consensus in here about them

·
Registered
17,248 Posts
Hi all

So I bought the 990!!, so I’m legal to use the forum again, as I sold the other Ktm last year!

I’ve got a few questions for now

When I fit the bash plate do I have to remove any thing , or does it just bolt over what’s already there?
With the side crashbars, do I need longer bolts to fit them ?

It’s got the Rottweiler air box and filter, has anyone else got one on??

I’ll save changing the oil question’s for another day!, fuck me that’s a lot of work!!!!

Thanks

Yeah they are a pain in the arse to work on. 😂 Looks good though. 👍
Change the shitty tea bag fuel filter too.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I’ve heard that about the bars causing more damage than without!, what’s the general consensus in here about them

Those little plastic panels at the bottom of the tanks stop the majority of damage and are amazingly strong.
Those with some decent handguards (HDB are the best IMO) give plenty of protection. Get a side-stand relocator too.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts