KTM Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
What is the battery at when engine not running?

Your earlier post - that balance pipe (that someone has fitted a quick connect to) needs some conduit over it (like the split ribbed stuff on your solenoid pic) to stop any rubbing on frame where battery box was. Some of the wiring looks like it needs a tidy (and some ACF50 corrosion block grease) and l wouldnt want the reg under the rear fender! Its going to get clarted there. 170mm exhaust springs? Never seen any that long ..... something not quite right there. As a temp job, you could get some heavy lockwire and do a neat job with lockwire pliers.
The battery is 1330 with engine not running, I only rev’ed the engine a little earlier , so I’ll get it out Saturday for a proper look when I change the oil. Good call on the wire on pipe I have some stainless wire at work. 170mm is the gap between the lugs on the exhaust so I smaller spring to stretch out will do but I can only find short ones, which won’t stretch that long.

I was thinking the rec’ is in a bad position, I my be able to fab a cover, or just move it!?. It’s a bit hard to get round what should go where it’s my first 990
Many questions to come!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The black wire connection look like the gear box sensors that come off the gear lever. They are normally a fecker to get too and live above the left hand bottom engine casing. Can't tell from the piccy.
Are they safe where they are or should they be rerouted?

I’m going to spend a bit of time on the bike Saturday got some heat shrink, and some cable cover!

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
13.3 not running is good.

Dont cover the reg, it needs to be vented. Needs relocating somewhere where it wont get clarted, away from heat and ideally in airflow. For instance, the one on the 950 se is over the exhaust and can get hot - l relocated mine to the side away from the exhaust heat.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The original regulator is poor due to heat management so needs airflow and somewhere that won’t get covered in mud thereby insulating so it can’t dissipate the heat.
If you’re going through all this work then you might want to look at replacing it with a more reliable MOSFET regulator

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Leave the gearbox one where it is, as it goes from the gear lever area into the....err gear box, so nowhere else to put it really. It's safe enough.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So I’m looking at fixing the exhaust up , there’s no clamps on it , so I’m going to seal the 2 into 1 bit and clamp the back end., I’ve noticed the wires for the rectifier are touching the exhaust?, is this ok??, nothing looks like it fits correctly, but I’ve never seen a 2 into 1 so I’m not sure?

What do you guys think?before I get started.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
Er, wires touching exhaust? No way - sort that out? Sounds like gun gum will be your friend with the exhaust.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Right cancel that last , post!, head not in gear this morning. I’ve zip tied the wires away to a safe place!, I was more concerned about the pipe., but on inspection I forgot the previous owner had removed the pannier brackets and messed with the back end. He hadn’t fitted the exhaust bolts properly so I’ve sorted it out and it’s now fine a tight!!
Just going around the bike with wires cover and zip ties!

Still not happy with these near the oil tank!
Oil change next!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Had a good day on the bike , it looks much neater now, changed the oil , glad I did very dirty,

the job itself was quite easy really, managed to do the job with out removing the tank, loads of space to work! Lovely fresh motul in the bike now!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Changed the hand guards and sidestand relocation bracket today!!( thanks Charlie , Craig)!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Dont forget to clean the pesky clutch oil jet as well. If you remove clutch cover and its dry in there, then its blocked. If it is, fingers crossed that your booster is still ok.
Regarding this oil jet, the bike changed gear fine , at the moment!, is it a job that’s needs doing only if the gears get hard or what?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
Whip the clutch cover off .... if there is no oil in there, clean the oil jet asap. If you dont, it gets ££££££.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Sorry if this is a nob head question!!, but I’ve not done this before!!

Is there a gasket on the cover I’ll have to get?, will there be oil in there , what am I looking for ??
Should I just check the oil jet while I’m at it!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
There is a gasket in the cover, a thin silicone/rubber one. Fine to reuse. There should be a small amount of oil in there, but not much at all. If its dry, it means the clutch oil jet is blocked. You are supposed to clean the jet at oil change time, but many dont bother, which is stupid. First time doing it, extracting the jet is a pain in tbe arse, google / youtube is your friend, because its something you need to see rather than working it out from a written description. Once you have done it once, its a doddle.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
So I’ve removed the clutch cover, there’s a bit of oil in there , nice fresh red motul which was changed the over week, so that’s good.

As there is oil in clutch, should I just check the oil jet the next time a oil the oil change??

Thanks

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Thanks ship!

Right I think that’s all the bits done except the fuel filters! Got to order them yet!
Ordered the rear rack the handles!
Bought and fitted the Rottweiler pre filter

I’ve fitted the sump guard

I think I’ll leave the crash bars off for now and see how I get on, if the tanks start to take a knock I’ll fit them. It depends how knarly I take it I guess.

I might actually get round to riding this thing yet!

I appreciate all the advice

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Have you fitted the side stand relocation kit

(I haven’t yet I still need to do it )

And which sump guard do you have as believe there is a problem with one of them that can punch a hole in the crank cases if it get hit hard

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Sorry just seen you’ve fitted the side stand bit

61 - 80 of 84 Posts