KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I took out a 990 Adventure for a test ride today, and I've come back with an ear-to-ear grin, but also with about a million questions, which the dealer (being a Honda man) could not answer.

I was wondering if the combined wisdom of this forum can assist....

1) Coming off the R1200GS, I felt the brakes on the 990 were absolutely rubbish. Spongy, no real bite, felt a bit like the brakes I have on my bicycle (you have to really put some muscle in for them to work). Is this normal for these bikes? Or did I just have an example which needs bleeding?
2) Mirrors: above 60 mph, they vibrate so much that everything behind you becomes a blur. Again, this particular bike or do they all do this?
3) My lower legs were getting very toasty very quickly. I know it's meant to be one of their quirks - and I assume there are countless ideas on this forum about how to address this - correct?
4) What sort of mpg are you guys getting?
5) What does the "F" on the dash show? Where you go through modes, you have the odometer, two trips, and then something called "F"?

Thank you so much,
Yours
(Possibly new 990 Adv man, currently GS rider)
agfoxx

·
Registered
628 Posts
1. They feel pretty shite after coming from something else - long travel suspension doesn't help. You get used to them easy enough.
2. Mine do this - although I have duke mirrors fitted.
3. After market exhausts should clear this up - I use Wings.
4. I get around 48 MPG.
5. F means fuel trip - this comes on when tanks hit "reserve" and show you how many miles you've used since this occurred. Roughly 30 miles on "reserve".

cheers

D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. They feel pretty shite after coming from something else - long travel suspension doesn't help. You get used to them easy enough.
2. Mine do this - although I have duke mirrors fitted.
3. After market exhausts should clear this up - I use Wings.
4. I get around 48 MPG.
5. F means fuel trip - this comes on when tanks hit "reserve" and show you how many miles you've used since this occurred. Roughly 30 miles on "reserve".

cheers

D.
Thank you!

·
Registered
277 Posts
My brakes were fine, maybe service and better pads needed

Never noticed the mirrors issue on my 2011

I had aftermarket exhausts. FMF. Not as hot but warm in a traffic jam!

You generally get 10 miles a litre so fuel light on at 160 and about 40 miles left!

Didn't know about the F setting.....

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Welcome mate.

The brakes will never stop the world rotating, but are usually sharp and as good as BMW ones. So they need bleed, or different pads or fluid change. On a track day they will fade to nothing, but normal use they are quite ok.

Mirrors, something seems wrong. It's a v twin, it shakes. But not that much. Could be steering head bearings, tyres, mirror mounts, etc.. Or even the engine tune, valves, or throttle body balancing. All points at stuff you'd want fixed before buying.

Heat, maybe the tune, or ambient, but they are not that bad?

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Id say the brakes need some attention, the front brakes are fine when up together. The rear is a bugger to bleed and needs a firm foot on the slab but off road is perfectly weighted....where you mainly use the rear.

I've got KTM's military folding mirrors, at about 2500rpm they harmonic with the motor...hey its a V twin not opposing. :) I just move me knees out on warm days to get the air cooling parts (SE950). Normal riding, travelling I get around 50-52mpg, gunning it/off-road, low to mid 30's mpg....chaps on here can sort maps and fuelling issues on the 990 efi. But they are far more fun to ride than the GS.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The brakes are a bit worrying when you first use them but they do work. Coming from a GS which has very little dive it will seem very spongy.
I changed my discs and pads to EBC and felt that was an improvement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found pads could make huge difference on my old 950, heat is mainly from the cats in the std exhausts. Trip 2 should be able to be altered up and down using the handlebar switch if fitted, handy for navigation rallys to set your trip back to the roadbook. F as pointed out is distance since the fuel level switch is reached, my 950 could get anything from 40-52mpg with the best at motorway speeds and the worst bimbling around back roads.

Steve

·
Registered
637 Posts
MPG is variable. Mine is a 950 SE, so a little bit different.
If you're riding like a hooligan, then expect low figures. I get 18 around town. But on long motorway rides I get close to 50. But that's boring and not where these bikes excel IMO.

Heat is the exhaust cans. They do run hot and you do get used to it, kind'a. Round town it can be uncomfortable on a summers day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts