KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put my 2008 990 Adventure up for sale and a chap came over to see it last night. He wasn't happy with the clunk when engaging first from neutral. I've never noticed it myself so I've bled the clutch through this morning and took it for a quick spin. Exactly the same, clunks when engaging first from neutral, all other changes are clean and smooth with no false neutrals or jumping out of gear. The bike has 18.5k miles on the clock. My mates 08 Adventure also clunks when engaging first from neutral so have we both got a dodgy clutch/ gearbox or is this normal on the 990?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Is normal, but not if your a rice burner jockey.
Have a look at the oil jet, make sure it's not blocked. Google it. Bit fiddly but it will still clunky.
It's a bit like the spongy front brake, it will stop you, he will just get used to it, tell him it's called character.
Show him this..https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/gear-change-at-clunky-990-adv.1013241/

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys, thanks for the replies. Did a bit of research and learnt/ re-learnt some stuff about dog boxes. All normal and buyer has ridden away on my 990. Now have some money burning a hole in my pocket for a 450 exc project 😁

·
Premium Member
31,408 Posts
It's going to blow!!!!!!! Good job you moved it on in time ;)

BTW a blocked oil jet makes the clutch drag less, not more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts