KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas,swapping my 950sm for a 990adv. this weekend..happy with the deal and the bike looks well but the mileage is nudging 30k,what sort of miles can these motors do?any issues? also what should i be looking for when i pick it up?.ie wear..APOLOGIES IF THIS TOPICS BEEN COVERED..cheers tom

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
No real reported issues with the mileage, there are some 950s' out there that I know of which have done 80k plus hard miles at that too. Only things I'd check for are to make sure the TSBs' are up to date and find out the last time it was serviced, twist their arm too if it's a dealer.
I was told that my ike would be serviced before I collected it and when I called up to double check the oil which was used they told me that they didn't service it last :wanker:
Other than that you'll be good to ride and welcome to the clan

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Mileage seems to not be a problem on these bikes/engine Tommo. As Gav has said, there are many out there with 80,000, and one rather clever chap has done a full rebuild and found the internals with very little wear indeed.

I think most bikes are left alone if they have more than a certain mileage - it seems that 30,000 is some kind of mental barrier where people suddenly believe that the bike is knackered! Fear not - the mighty Katooooooom LC8 engine is like a freight trains IMO.

Mind you there is the waterpump issues.....and the sump electrics...........and the oil pressure switch....... :rotflmao:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mine is an Aug '06 990 and has just passed 47,000 miles. I replaced the chain and sprocket with OE kit at 33k and it eats rear pads, but I've only just replaced the rear disc. It is still on the original front disc and pads! The rear brake master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder went at 44K but otherwise nothing else has been changed/repaired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts