KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am looking for a few words of wizdom for the latest problem to befall my lovely 2010 vintage 990 Supermoto R.
Basically, it was running perfectly for a 100 mile trip last week, when I stopped for a few minutes and went to reatart it... not a sausage... clocks went through their notmal sweep etc, fuel pump whirrs, electrics all come on but the following occur:
Immobilizer light flashes 6 times, pause 1 second, 1 flash = error code 61 = not listed in the error code list!
FI light flashes 8 long, pause, 1 short = error code 81 = immobilizer circut fault
FI light flashes 9 long, pause, 1 short = error code 91 = CAN bus communication error

If I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it the Immobilizer fault stops when I turn on the ignition but the FI errors are still there, nothing at the starter. If I turn the ignition off and then on again the Immobilizer fault comes back too! I have cleaned as many connectors as I can find on the bike (including the BGC) and dont see any broken wires etc. No joy.

I have decided to fit a 2008 ECU which doesnt have the immobilizer but I think I need to have my map data installed onto it without enabling the immobilizer function. Are there any TuneECU mapping whizz kids out there who can do this... ie. I send them both ECU's and they mirror the data file from my 2010 one onto the 2008 one without enabling the immobilizer? Or even just load a 990 SMR Acro map onto the 2008 ECU? Who do you recommend for this, I have hit google hard and there are lots of tuning shops out there but they all either want to dyno the thing or just do a tune-up job.

Cheers fellas

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
There’s usually a chip in the ignition key which interacts with a reader coil mounted on the ignition switch. This reader coil is connected to the immob wiring with a 2 pin plug with tiny pins, the pins get damp and a little bit of corrosion messes up the connection. If you can find this little connector and clean it you may fix your fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, I have cleaned every connection I can find (all over the bike) with contact cleaner and made sure everything is dry. I was looking for a broken wire somewhere but it is impossible to check as the loom is so tightly wrapped and buried you have no chance of tracing them. Looks like I will have to break out the lump hammer!!!!
I will give it another squirt and let you know how I get on.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
The immo coil has to read the chip in the key. The coil is usually mounted on the barrel of the ignition switch and the 2 pin connector will not be far away, somewhere near the ignition switch. You’re still using the same key which used to start the bike?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi John, yes I am using the same key (I dont have a red key)... another long, horrid and expensive story! I have cleaned the contacts to the antenna with contact cleaner and they are completely dry but still no joy. As a last ditch effort I may try the Thinkpad guy you sent me a link to in Slovenia who can write the immobilizer code out of the ECU. I will keep the thread posted with progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts