KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes when I rev my 990SM (09) over 8000 it feels like I hit the rev limiter, just a little smoother. I can hold the throttle lfull open but the motor does not rev over 8000. sometimes the same happens at 7000 and the revs go slowly up to 8000, the motor feels powerless and hesitates to rev further. after a fuel stop the problem disappeared and came again after 50 kms. I filled the tank again and it disappeared, came again after 70kms. I thought it must have to do with the fuel level, but the problem came after 50, 70, 135 and again after 176kms.
I took off the tank and checked all fuel lines but did not find anything unusual, I blew through the thin hose (balancing line) between the two little fuel taps and also checked if fuel can run freely out of both taps. I checked the vent hose and the tank filler cap. Norhing there.
I measured the power coming to the fuel pumps electrical connection and had 12,2 volts while the battery had 12,8. I've done a continuity measurement on the pump while knocking on it and moving the little harness, but everything normal.

The garage said the did not find anything when I dropped the bike there the first time the problem appeared. It pisses me no end that it comes and goes and sometimes disappears for hours...

I am sure it is the pump but the darn thing is very expensive and I am afraid that I replace it and the problem isn't gone...

Any suggestions?

Thx and cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Doesn't the RC8 suffer from this sometimes and the ADV?

I THINK it has something to do with a fuel filter in the tank - it collapses and then when you ask the bike for too much power the fuel cant get through the collapsed filter, and you get starvation problems.

As far as I am aware the filters are not expensive to replace.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had since my 990 has 4,500 km on it. Anyway, below was what I did to fix it, posted a while ago:

Like a "Dancing rat", I tried several things to figure out why my 990 sm refused to go above 6-7,000 rpm, cut out at times and behaved as if running out of fuel. :confused:
Well, today I pulled the tank, pull this dildo-looking thing out of the tank,

and finally get one of the screen (reserve indicator screen, perhaps?). Not sure if this is how it supposed to look like:

Any way, I washed it in water, blow dry it, soaked it in petrol and this is how it became:

\Note:
1. I washed the filter till it was visibly cleaner (water jet, dry, then soak and shake it in a jar filled with gasoline). It worked ever since, no similar problem occurred.
2. I also ordered the "Filter kit (FILTER-SET FUEL PUMP)" from KTM. Part #61007090000 , cost $90 more or less. I figure if I cannot clean it next time, new filter kit will be installed.
3. Gasoline in Central America here is a lot dirtier, I think, what's the mileage on yours? Guess it's bound to happened one day, since the fuel pump is designed to suck the petrol from the bottom of the tank.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't the RC8 suffer from this sometimes and the ADV?

I THINK it has something to do with a fuel filter in the tank - it collapses and then when you ask the bike for too much power the fuel cant get through the collapsed filter, and you get starvation problems.

As far as I am aware the filters are not expensive to replace.....
Thanks for your hint, together with the other guys description I should get rid of the problem. I'll talk to the KTM boyz today if they have ever had such problems. Sounds if this is appears not just on my bike.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the same problem I had since my 990 has 4,500 km on it. Anyway, below was what I did to fix it, posted a while ago:

Like a "Dancing rat", I tried several things to figure out why my 990 sm refused to go above 6-7,000 rpm, cut out at times and behaved as if running out of fuel. :confused:
Well, today I pulled the tank, pull this dildo-looking thing out of the tank,

and finally get one of the screen (reserve indicator screen, perhaps?). Not sure if this is how it supposed to look like.

Any way, I washed it in water, blow dry it, soaked it in petrol and this is how it became:
\Note:
1. I washed the filter till it was vi. As itsibly cleaner (water jet, dry, then soak and shake it in a jar filled with gasoline). It worked ever since, no similar problem occurred.
2. I also ordered the "Filter kit (FILTER-SET FUEL PUMP)" from KTM. Part #61007090000 , cost $90 more or less. I figure if I cannot clean it next time, new filter kit will be installed.
3. Gasoline in Central America here is a lot dirtier, I think, what's the mileage on yours? Guess it's bound to happened one day, since the fuel pump is designed to suck the petrol from the bottom of the tank.

Hope this help.

Wow! Sounds great to me. Yes, obviously I was wrong cause I thought if the strainer is clogged the problem is there constantly. As I said it appears from time to time and so I thought it must be either something with the pump itself or maybe there's something wrong on the ignition side. Now that I read what you wrote and what the other fellow reported about the RC8 I am pretty sure that this is the reason.

Mine has now 7500kms on the clock. I never had the fuel light on except a week ago, so the tank was never dry. It is possible that when I stopped on a small gas station on the country side with only one single pump that I got dirty fuel there. It appeared first after I filled my tank there.

Many, many thanks buddy, you really made it much easier to me with this perfect description and all the nice pics. I cant check the pump this week due to a lot of work but will take it out of the tank next week and take some pics. I'll let you know.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer and put all the pics online ! My bad temper has gone :smokin:

CU
Steve

·
Registered
330 Posts
You're welcome!
Let us know what happen later when you get around to examining it, pls.;)
BTW, it's not hard to take it apart, but if you decide to do it and have problem let me know.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My mate had a Superduke with a carbon tank but the tank split and shed a lot of carbon and repair debris into the fuel filter. After that his bike would become unrideable after about 50 miles or so because the filter was so clogged that fuel flow was affected by the head of fuel in the tank. All this happened while on a tour round Europe with a bunch of bikes which could do Germany to Birmingham on a single tank. They had to stop every 50 miles for the SD to fill up.... :D

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@fz750g:

Yep, promise. Will let you know but will take a few days, most probably next week, this week no way...
Thanks for the offer, I hope I will be able to disassemble the pump so that I can get the little screen out and I also will order the filter kit. It is 89.- euros :( (approx 115 uS$) but to be sure I will buy one. And I will always have it with me when doing my annual mountain tour in northern Italy :)
When I take out the pump is it necessary to replace an O-ring or seal?

Cheerz
Steve

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mate had a Superduke with a carbon tank but the tank split and shed a lot of carbon and repair debris into the fuel filter. After that his bike would become unrideable after about 50 miles or so because the filter was so clogged that fuel flow was affected by the head of fuel in the tank. All this happened while on a tour round Europe with a bunch of bikes which could do Germany to Birmingham on a single tank. They had to stop every 50 miles for the SD to fill up.... :D
Ouch, thats a pain....... such things happening during a big tour can really make ya mad :(

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
That's hardly a mild irritation. :)
My wife and I were riding through Denmark, Germany and France on my 1977 Triumph Bonneville (in 1978) and I had what I thought was petrol starvation that cured itself when I went on to reserve.
At the campsite that night we tried to find what appeared to be a bit of a rattle but couldn't see anything obvious.
The rattle got worse but you couldn't hear it above 30mph so we decided we may as well carry on with the last week of our holiday as we had European recovery anyway.
The bike did another 900 miles and performed perfectly well and got us home....stripped it down and found one seriously rattly piston, we had had a partial seizure but the old bus kept going all the same.
We did get some funny looks when driving through towns though as the noise must have been horrendous.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@fz750g:
When I take out the pump is it necessary to replace an O-ring or seal?
Probable won't be a bad idea. But KTM wants $100 plus for the "O-ring set", which is a premium for a bunch of rubber IMO. I will pop around the local hardware store to match the o-rings up next time when I take mine apart again,...

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probable won't be a bad idea. But KTM wants $100 plus for the "O-ring set", which is a premium for a bunch of rubber IMO. I will pop around the local hardware store to match the o-rings up next time when I take mine apart again,...
yep, indeed not what one expects when buying some rubber seals :confused:

You take it apart again ? Don't tell me the darn starvation problem occured again :mad:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Haha, no, not having to take it apart again yet. Bike has been running really well, so far.
Shall I have the need to do it again, I will swap out the o-rings.

Who knows how soon that will be, BTW, considering the quality of petrol here,...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK sounds good to me :) Went to my garage (approx 20 miles from my apartment) yesterday but forgot the darn key so I couldnt take the seat off. Me damn idiot :(
But started to drain the fuel and disconnected the fuel line, electrical connector and the balance lines. Turned out all the screws so maybe tonight I only have to take the tank off and take the pump out. The problem is am short on time as my 450 has to be ready for saturday but the bloody idoiots at KTM sent me the wrong chain (too short). So lets see what I can do first. However, I will post pics of the pump and strainers, filters and stuff so that you can see that it is most probably the same problem you had. KTM boyz say thats nothing unusual but it is indeed strange that it happens so early, considering that fuel quality (normally) is excellent over here...

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ fz750g: ok, took the pump out tonight, see what I found

oh yes my babe has a dildo too :D

upper filter taken out, look at its color, it is very dirty...

after cleaning it. the fluid which looks likes grand ma's pi... err.... tea was fresh and clean fuel a few minutes before. I also blew from inside to outside with compressed air and I could feel bits flying away. Some kind of black sand...

The lower filter, which was bright white when new. Looks awful before cleaning. I rinsed it about 15 times with fuel, brake cleaner, washing powder and hot water. Nothing really helped. I blew a few hundred liters of compressed air through it but it did not get white like yours...

Thats all I could do :frown:

Before upper and lower part are clicked together I put some petro jelly on the o-rings. What works at home :smokin: works with o-rings as well :D

Ready to be installed...

Well, I do pray that this cures the starvation problem, but to be honest am not convinced. Unfortunately I am a greedy and tightfisted twat :hmh: I was at KTM but did not buy the filter kit because I did not like spending 90 (!!) euros for two little filters which KTM buys for about 50 pence each :mad:
I did not expect to find them in such a bad condition and it would have made sense to replace them, but its too late now. So I hope that next weekend the pissing rain which we have since about 4 weeks stops and I can test it.

Many thanks for all the assistance and help, most appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
330 Posts
FYI,
1. I hosed the lower filter (baggy looking one) with garden hose, which blew out most of the particles (yours looks almost like metal shaving in it, from the look of it).
2. My upper filter does not look too bad, I clean it up reasonably soaking it in the petrol, and shook it in the tin can.

BTW, in all fairness, I did have an accident once, when the tank punched a 4 cm diam hole through the bumper of a Isuzu Trooper. No visible damage to the tank, but I think the impact might have flexed the tank and maybe there is some sort of coating or finish that flaked off the surface, which then get into the filter. Who knows?
Or it could just be dirty fuel here,..

·
Registered
446 Posts
50 pence ???? If they spend that much on the filters. They cost about 15 pence each if were lucky

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI,
1. I hosed the lower filter (baggy looking one) with garden hose, which blew out most of the particles (yours looks almost like metal shaving in it, from the look of it).
2. My upper filter does not look too bad, I clean it up reasonably soaking it in the petrol, and shook it in the tin can.

BTW, in all fairness, I did have an accident once, when the tank punched a 4 cm diam hole through the bumper of a Isuzu Trooper. No visible damage to the tank, but I think the impact might have flexed the tank and maybe there is some sort of coating or finish that flaked off the surface, which then get into the filter. Who knows?
Or it could just be dirty fuel here,..
Well, I have no clue where the dirt comes from but it could be from the fuel in Italy. I dont think its abrasion from the pump motor itself. The pump runs fine with no noise... Lets see, will report if it is fixed or not. The upper filter was definitely full of grit I could feel tiny bits flying away when I blew it..
Mh... dont think the tank is coated, it also could be that its just residue from the factory. I mean if your cleaning action cured it and it never came back its most probably not the dirty fuel...

Cheers Steve

1 - 20 of 29 Posts