KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and it's a question?!

I'm looking at getting a 990 SMT when they become available in the states here later this month. I've been reading up on KTM as much as I can lately since a) it's still winter here w/snow on the ground and b) I've never owned a KTM.

In looking at the 990 Adventure as well, owners comment on the extra time/effort needed to do a routine oil change on them, removing one of the fuel tanks I believe is part of the process. So for the 990 SMT is that the case as well or is it not as involved?

Thanks ahead of time and I hope to be an owner of a KTM sooner than later as well as an [active] member of this forum!

·
Registered
87 Posts
No you don't need to remove the tank.
There are more stages in the process than on some other bikes (couple of mesh screens, the oil filter, two drain bolts, undoing hoses) but everything is pretty easily accessible so it's no big deal.
I had a full fairing Suzuki before and changing the oil and filter was more difficult and time consuming because the filter was damn near inaccessible behind the fairing and the pipes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know! Got the call from the dealership that it's in; gonna head down there Tuesday for a test ride and go from there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good to know! Got the call from the dealership that it's in; gonna head down there Tuesday for a test ride and go from there.
Buy it you wont regret it:666:

I've never looked back, the SMT ticks every box for me and I haven't exactly be slumming it when it comes to bikes:scooter:

I pushed the boat out and treated my self to the Titanium and Carbon Akra's. They came with a factory re-map which in my opinion made the bike. Very expensive but very worth it, albeit I now know there are other options.

The bike gets 10/10 from me with the only downside being the relatively short service schedules, oh and the factory fit Conti's:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the SMT is my current favorite. I'm going to try the Triumph Tiger again and my pal is selling his new Multistrada 1100S so I'll at least check those two out.

Just for reference, been riding for 15 years on a variety of bikes: Hawk GT, GSXR750R, 919, VFR, Z1000, & the current GT1000.

I've got a fairly short list of farkle for the SMT should I decide to get it. Mostly factory stuff; the factory bags and center stand....maybe need to check out the exhaust too...

Thinking about the small rear bag in light of a tank bag, but I've also started looking at aluminum top boxes. Any favorites of the collective in that respect? I'm a light packer, usually my kriega backpack has been enough for a week long trip so I don't need a huge amount of space.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, the SMT is my current favorite. I'm going to try the Triumph Tiger again and my pal is selling his new Multistrada 1100S so I'll at least check those two out.

Just for reference, been riding for 15 years on a variety of bikes: Hawk GT, GSXR750R, 919, VFR, Z1000, & the current GT1000.

I've got a fairly short list of farkle for the SMT should I decide to get it. Mostly factory stuff; the factory bags and center stand....maybe need to check out the exhaust too...

Thinking about the small rear bag in light of a tank bag, but I've also started looking at aluminum top boxes. Any favorites of the collective in that respect? I'm a light packer, usually my kriega backpack has been enough for a week long trip so I don't need a huge amount of space.
Well I also have the standard SMT side bags, which are failry small. I have fitted a KTM 46L top case which is made by Shad. I also have a Kriega US10 fitted to a tank bag converter. That should be plenty of luggage space for me.I'll be hitting Europe for 3 weeks in June with a tent as well so its gonn ahev to be enough. That said my wife willalso be on a bike carrying her own luggage with some of the tent stuff.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
As already mentioned above - oil change is simples. (Adventure has big rally-style tanks which cover most of the motor)

As for farkles:
1) Check out Giantloop luggage (greatbasin - or coyote if youre a light packer). Very firm, rugged and waterproof (and throw it over your shoulder to carry into hotel)
2) You will find stock exhausts very heavy and they get very hot. Im pretty sure there are Wings exhausts for the SMT (very similar to Akrapovic - in looks and quality - but cheaper)

There is loads of info on advrider on the LC8 engine - and also ktm950.info. There is a bit of trawling required to understand the distinction between the 950 and 990 - but a lot of commonality. Its a pretty mature platform.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts