KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok sorry I don't post on here much but I'm at a point where I'm not sure what to do so I'm turning to the collective knowledge of the ktm loyal.

So I was riding home the other day after being out for a bit of a play, 6th gear, motorway(yawn) and 5 miles from home.
All of a sudden the bike starts to slow down, no real rev response. So I knock it down to 5th, same thing. Put it in 4th and it picks up. Throttle response, increase in revs etc - back to normal.
The rest of the ride home the bike did feel somewhat different but it didn't cut out or anything.

Please, any clues or ideas folks?

Many thanks

·
Registered
14,808 Posts
I had the same happen to me, checked everything electrically, coil sticks, plugs, fuel pump and then moved on to the injectors and TPS etc. but everything checked out okay

I went out on it a week later and the bike shit itself, needed a full rebuild and cost me 2 grand

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wazza woke up and realized he had a wet dream. He's pulling your plonker - which makes a change 'cos he's normally pulling his own.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Have you checked your in-tank fuel filter? They can block/give trouble on the 990 Adv and I’d imagine (though am probably wrong!) that it is much the same set-up on the SD. You remove the pump from the tank and it’s a tea-bag thing stuck on the end. If it is the same setup as the ADV you would be as well getting a new pump gasket/o-ring as they can be a twat to reinstall once the pump is removed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Check the stator wires for signs of melting around the brown 3 pin connector in the belly pan. Give them a clean up whilst your there and a coat of silicone grease if you have any.

If it does it again also check to see if the dash is fading out when it happens as it could mean the Reg/Rec is failing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was watching the rev counter when the power was dropping and couldn't see any fading on the Speedo so hopefully as is ok that way but will have a look at the plug and grease it etc.
I'm unable to remove the tank atm but will have a look at the filter as soon as I'm able to. Thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Check the stator wires for signs of melting around the brown 3 pin connector in the belly pan. Give them a clean up whilst your there and a coat of silicone grease if you have any.

If it does it again also check to see if the dash is fading out when it happens as it could mean the Reg/Rec is failing.
DONT use Silicone grease on electrical connectors it is an insulator (n)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
DON'T.... give advice that is wrong.
..which is made even worse when you're correcting someone who isn't. ;)
Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection. ?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wow... cut and paste straight from google, which came from here.

Must be true then. :LOL:

So do you think a conductive paste should only be used... as clearly dielectric grease is going to stop the connector from working?

Have a read of this page, which was written by an actual engineer.

Scroll down to the section titled Connectors and read down from there as that explains what I was going to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just,want to clarity, it wasn't electrical power that the bike seemed to lose. Blocks etc remained clear. It was horses power, until I put it back into 4th, then it came back.
I even checked to make sure that the grip hadn't come away from the throttle body.:unsure:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have you checked your in-tank fuel filter? They can block/give trouble on the 990 Adv and I’d imagine (though am probably wrong!) that it is much the same set-up on the SD. You remove the pump from the tank and it’s a tea-bag thing stuck on the end. If it is the same setup as the ADV you would be as well getting a new pump gasket/o-ring as they can be a twat to reinstall once the pump is removed.
This was my thinking too - I'd check the fuel pump and change the filters, especially if it happened after plodding along on the motorway on a constant throttle for a while.

It sounds very similar to what happened on my old bike (although it was a Suzuki) when the fuel filter got blocked up. I would ride on a steady throttle then it would lose power suddenly, then come back violently, then lose power again a few miles later.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wow... cut and paste straight from google, which came from here.

Must be true then. :LOL:

So do you think a conductive paste should only be used... as clearly dielectric grease is going to stop the connector from working?

Have a read of this page, which was written by an actual engineer.

Scroll down to the section titled Connectors and read down from there as that explains what I was going to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts