KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM LOOKING FOR A KTM SM IVE SEEN THE 990 SMR AND NOW IVE HEARD THAT THE 950 SUPER ENDURO IS THE BIKE TO BUY AND I JUST HAVE TO ADD SOME 17" WHEELS FOR THE SUMMER WHATS THE CRACK WITH THESE 2 MODELS THE 950 SEEMS BETTER PRICED BUT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT EITHER OF THEM CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INSITE :confused::confused::rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rider ability being equal:

If you spend most of your time on pavement or you wish to do some track days then the 990SM/R is the better choice. It's suspension is much firmer, it offers superior brakes, plus comes with the proper sized wheels for sticky road rubber from the off. The 990 motor is also a fair bit more powerful then the SE's 950 lump apx 15hp or so. The SM/R will still do the occasional dirty bit plus tour with the right accessories but it's best on a tight paved/poorly paved road

If however you wish to do a fair bit of green lane ridding plus have a great deal of fun on the pavement then the cost of a SE + 17's may make sense. The SE is better protected for rocks and such (skid plate, high exhaust etc), and offers more compliant suspension for the dirt, not to mention the stock wheels will allow for proper dirt tires. For pavement, 17" wheel conversion would still leave you a bit short on braking compared to the SM/R plus it's fairly soft on the springs for fast road use. A SE on 17's will allow for quite a good pace up to the 85-100mph range if you're smooth. Beyond that range the suspension gives up a bit. Repeated slowing from high speed quickly exposes the limits of the single disk up front. If you fancy yourself an adventure tourist but would like the ability to add some sticky road rubber to the mix from time to time well the SE is your answer.

For sure between the SM and SE the SE plus a set of 17's will offer the most versatility. But even with the 17's it won't quite match the SM/R on pavement when the pace really heats up. Conversely, the SE will leave the SM in it's dust when the road/trail turns rocky and dirty (on it's stock wheels).

·
Registered
249 Posts
If it helps make up your mind you can get a brand new 990SMR for £9k if you order this week.

The SMR also has super light Marchesini wheels, apparently it also has a re-valved rear shock - as already stated it is more orientated to fast road riding. Whether you think the limited edition colours are worth the extra money is your call.

You pays your money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rider ability being equal:

If you spend most of your time on pavement or you wish to do some track days then the 990SM/R is the better choice. It's suspension is much firmer, it offers superior brakes, plus comes with the proper sized wheels for sticky road rubber from the off. The 990 motor is also a fair bit more powerful then the SE's 950 lump apx 15hp or so. The SM/R will still do the occasional dirty bit plus tour with the right accessories but it's best on a tight paved/poorly paved road

If however you wish to do a fair bit of green lane ridding plus have a great deal of fun on the pavement then the cost of a SE + 17's may make sense. The SE is better protected for rocks and such (skid plate, high exhaust etc), and offers more compliant suspension for the dirt, not to mention the stock wheels will allow for proper dirt tires. For pavement, 17" wheel conversion would still leave you a bit short on braking compared to the SM/R plus it's fairly soft on the springs for fast road use. A SE on 17's will allow for quite a good pace up to the 85-100mph range if you're smooth. Beyond that range the suspension gives up a bit. Repeated slowing from high speed quickly exposes the limits of the single disk up front. If you fancy yourself an adventure tourist but would like the ability to add some sticky road rubber to the mix from time to time well the SE is your answer.

For sure between the SM and SE the SE plus a set of 17's will offer the most versatility. But even with the 17's it won't quite match the SM/R on pavement when the pace really heats up. Conversely, the SE will leave the SM in it's dust when the road/trail turns rocky and dirty (on it's stock wheels).
what about if i can find a cheap 950 ser and buy a secondhand set of sm wheels and have the brakes upgraded do you think that will work :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
It will 'work'. It's just a question of how well. That becomes a matter of preference, cost and time. If you have the time and money to sort the SE it may work very well. There are a few guys on SE's with 17's that love them. But you have to be able to sort em'. If you lack the skill to do it then you'll pay $$$ to have someone else do it for you.

I'm happy I went for the SMR. For what I do it's perfect out of the box.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
what about if i can find a cheap 950 ser and buy a secondhand set of sm wheels and have the brakes upgraded do you think that will work :confused:
Really, as Natty explained, the choice is about dirt or no dirt. If you want to do some dirt riding, get the SE. SE + a set of 17" wheels is a very versatile package. Add an uprated brake (motomaster) and youre really good for road and dirt (but nowhere near as good as the SMR for road/track). Add a 2nd set of suspension (a bit hard to find though) and you really have 2 bikes for the time it takes to swap wheels and forks over (about 1hr tops).

Have you ridden both?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Now that sounds like a plan!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts