KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know I hear of stories of the sidestands breaking, but I have never seen it happen, but today I think I leant over the bike while stopped and like toffee the stand seemed to bend forwards and now its not working. It doesnt seem to be the stand itself but a the bike is covered in clart I cant see what has bent exactly... Whats the fix?? I guess its all too common:hmh:

Also looking at the exhaust it looks as if the tyre is rubbing the innerside of the exhaust on suspension compression, also where the headerpipe comes past the rear shocks spring it looks as if it may be rubbing there also. There seems no room for adjustment in either area??

·
Registered
640 Posts
when my sidestand failed on my old 450 it was the actual bracket to the frame that had snapped,simple weld fixed it.

as for the exhaust catching,sounds to me as though the subframe may be slightly bent. only say that because you say it hits the suspension too.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My tyre rubs the inside of the exhaust also ,i am using a mitas Co2 and they're really WIDE ,if you know what i mean :)

Does'nt help i'm a fat bastid either though

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha did think that Jase also.. wonder if ive been giving the suspension too much greif if you know what I mean

·
Registered
384 Posts
bolt may of bent and also where stand butts up to stop maybe worn, I had a run of weld put on mine and then filed it square. been spot on since

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
tyre rub on the pipe is not the end of the world, every 4t ktm i have ridden, owned or in fact seen has rubbed!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
tyre rub on the pipe is not the end of the world, every 4t ktm i have ridden, owned or in fact seen has rubbed!!
yep I agree, plus ive seen some folk incorrectly refit exhausts, we all know how tight that runs to the frame and engine.

·
Registered
640 Posts
it might not be the end of the world,but it was built to not rub....surely its better to find the solution and stop it!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
it might not be the end of the world,but it was built to not rub....surely its better to find the solution and stop it!
dont think the rubbing occurs in the direct up/down movement but when the bike is over and the suspension is compressed the tyre can catch. sure KTM didnt design it that way but the fact they all do it would suggest you could expend a lot of effort to not manage to stop it rubbing!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
really? both of mine did it (maybe tyre choice but please please dont ask me what the tyres were!!!) and almost every exc/sx I have seen has done it... strange!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Bloody 'ell......you must be one fat Bastid....:rolleyes: :p
or ....
2,have one poor suspension set up

3,have just fallen a long way ;)

·
Premium Member
31,618 Posts
You need to keep an eye on the allen screw that the stand pivots upon. It bends over time and may also come loose. This allows the stand to slide too far forwards on the bracket. It can also snap and the bike falls over.

The stand bracket is held onto the frame by two brackets, the inner one can sometimes break off the frame.

I have fitted Trailtech stand assemblies to several bikes, they use the subframe bolt and one of the sidestand mounts (the one that is also a chain guide mount). The bracket is strong bot plating goes rusty quickly. The actual stand leg is no better than the KTM item.

The last EXC I owned I kept for 4 years and never had the original stand let me down, but it probably had 10 replacement allen screws in that time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts