KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all, as you will see from my post count I am new on here. I have joined up in the hope that some of you may be able to steer me in the right direction as I am after a KTM supermoto, of some description.

I have just sold my 2007 Honda CBR600RR in favour of something a bit cheaper.

I only really use my bike for a 12 mile (each way) commute consisting of relatively low speed filtering and A roads.

So I want something that is reliable and fun, so which (if any) KTM is right for me?

I have seen a few that fall into the £2500 max price bracket I have set (set by wife who want the rest of the money for a kitchen).

HELP!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i see you have a small budjet but i was going to say a smt but this is way over your range . save money in the kitchen prodject by just changing the doors and worktops . you will save a bundle and keep the mrs happy result .look in mcn and fleabay for bikes in your price bracket . supermarket cards and newsagent windows are also mines of great bargains to be had .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about this one:
, just about a 1 metres worth of worktop over my budget!

Looks quite tall though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The 660 looks very nice,they are well thought of by lots on here but they can be a pig to start(so i am told)as they are kick start only and vibrate a lot.The 520 is basically an enduro bike,personally i wouldnt want to commute 25 miles a day on one ,but many do and some people have got decent mileage out of them ,but it will require frequent oil /filter changes etc.
You may be better off with a 625 or 640,duke 2,or if you can stretch the money a bit a 690.A 690 sm can be bought for a little over £3k now if you can handle the quirky looks .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lexinoo - many thanks for this reply, it is really useful.

so I am now looking for a:

625 (does it have any other letters etc.)
or a Duke 2

What about reliability etc?

Both my previous bikes have been super for reliability (SV650s & CBR600RR), so I would want the same from the KTM.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would be looking to buy a 625 smc with low mileage as possible that had plenty of history,but if you have never ridden one i suggest you do before making the purchase as one of these singles is going to feel soooooo different to a cbr 600 ,great for in the traffic and tight roads ,but much lumpier than a cbr with not a lot of top end.Some people love em,and some hate em.Also in MOST cases a ktm is going to need more looking after than a cbr or sv650.You may get a better response to your questions in the supermoto section of the forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again mate. Sounds like the 625 is the one for me, I have a fair idea what to expect now and it is my main reason for getting rid of the CBR, 100mph + speeds were far to easy to reach and my licence was not going to hold out forever. Plus doing the commute I do the CBR was wasted where-as a supermoto bike would liven it up a bit. I never really used the CBR on weekends, just a few trackdays.

So what is high mileage on one of these then?

I have 3 to see, and having spoken to the sellers are all in the same price band all 2004 but with varying mileage the highest being 16k, the lowest is 4.5k.

More looking after? as in oil changes etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts