KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday was a lovely day.. A mate called to say he was about to finish work. We both ride supermoto (mines a 625SMC) so we planned to go for a ride.. I jumped at the chance and hopped straight on the bike. (Helmet, Jacket, Boots and Gloves of course;))
I filtered through the traffic.. until got to the first roundabout. No traffic in sight anymore, hit it about 35 - 40.
What i didnt know, was that at some point in the 10 minute ride, My front sprocket Nut had fallen off:eek:
Of course as soon as the bike banked round to the right, the sprocket fell off..(thanks gravity)
The Chain jammed up.. You can guess the rest...
Sliding on my arse at 35mph watching my bike, in a plume of sparks, bounce up the curb isnt a pleasant slight.. I came to a stop just as my helmet met the curb.. Was only a light tap of the curb... Phew..
I sat up and saw my bike half on/off the curb.. Pouring Oil and petrol (straight into a drain thankfully)
Superficial damage consists of: Pegs, Handguards, rear quarter panel, and Crash bungs.. Oh and i need a new sprocket Nut..

Havnt had a chance to check the fact oil was dripping out... It wasnt obvious where it was coming from.. But as i walked it into the nearest service station it was definatly dripping. I've run the engine and i have to admit.. It sounds a bit rough.. Only ran it for a few seconds..
So it looks like its time to strip down and rebuild for winter..

About the Nut... I had it worked on by a my local KTM dealership about 3 or 4 months ago.. Should it really have come loose in that short period of time... I do go around and check occasionally but i didnt notice that or think that i was possible for it to unscrew on its own. Doesnt it Have a locking Pin..?

Anyway.. A few lessons... (For me anyway;)) :
Safety gear works(although lack of knee pads means i cant walk:frown:) ,
You dont have to be hooning it to come off,
And do very regular checks on important stuff.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to some replys!:rolleyes:

Ben

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
woopsy daisy! glad you got off so lightly (pain-wise) hope the bike will keep you busy over the winter months!

·
Banned
1,023 Posts
these bikes are designed to be dropped matey, so the bike will be fine and cheap to repair :), not sure why the nut came loose, i'm no expert on it at all

as for the oil, the bike went on it's side, so chances are it's come out of the oil breather which is 100% normal

main thing is you are ok, don;t let the off lower your confidence

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh cheers mate.. Hurts to walk though eh! And I got a graze on my ass!

Anyone any comments on the work done by the garage? Could I throw some blame about somewhere? Or shall I just swallow this one..

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
dont think you will get a lot of joy blaming, may be wrong...

as colicabcadam says, dont let it knock your confidence any!

·
Registered
940 Posts
years ago i had the front sprocket nut fall off my zzr1100 doing about 80mph, which was due to motorcycle city not bending the locking washer over, i know this because the locking washer had got stuck in what was left of the side engine casing with no sign of ever being bent

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Sad news about the stack Ben.
If there is one thing I have learned about my older LC4 is that it can and will undo its own bolts. I recall once riding down the freeway, and for no specific reason a bolt on the front brake lever bracket starts literally rotating itself undone. So it wouldn't be silly to give it a going over from time to time. Just don't overtighten anything either..

Ideally a sprocket bolt would not come undone until next it is deliberately removed. I'd be shocked to hear that anyones sprocket I fitted had come off. If it were me, I'd be a bit dirty at the workshop. But I think theres a little too much time passed by to make any sort of claim or demands.

Might as well chuck it in with the other things.
*always check on bike after work done.

Hope you heal up quick and get the bike on the road. Big thumbs up for Oneal Knee guards here. After grinding my knees, I won't leave home without them now.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Shit to see ... ya pride and joy scratchin it's way down the tarmac :frown: ... as said though, could of been a LOT worse dude ... hope the ache's go quickly ;)

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Yeh cheers mate.. Hurts to walk though eh! And I got a graze on my ass!

Anyone any comments on the work done by the garage? Could I throw some blame about somewhere? Or shall I just swallow this one..
i had this with toddy and hes 525, i had to out of courtesy sort it regarldess as i was last one to work on it, now i rang ktm who said the part is not designed to be changed every sprocket, just use locktite and the rite tourqe settings, so i said the bolts and washers have no service life then, no was the answer. from now on though everytime i change a front sprocket i put new bolt and washer in as i dont want to runthe risk of sumone getting hurt!! its bad luck, toddys one the bolt actually sheared so was a faulty part but the bolt dropping out is either over or under tightened or the spring washer was fooked.... least your ok thats what counts.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
my 04 625 has a locking washer on that nut........you know the type that peens over the nut,........ thought it was standard...........

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
all the ones ive seen have a dome washer that holds the bolt under pressure when tight

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i had this with toddy and hes 525, i had to out of courtesy sort it regarldess as i was last one to work on it, now i rang ktm who said the part is not designed to be changed every sprocket, just use locktite and the rite tourqe settings, so i said the bolts and washers have no service life then, no was the answer. from now on though everytime i change a front sprocket i put new bolt and washer in as i dont want to runthe risk of sumone getting hurt!! its bad luck, toddys one the bolt actually sheared so was a faulty part but the bolt dropping out is either over or under tightened or the spring washer was fooked.... least your ok thats what counts.
Another real quality posting from Mr. T - personal integrity, solution delivered and good tip for anyone with the brains to comprehend the issues - read and learn.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replys guys... Its set my mind at rest a bit..
Few things though.. I've taken some pics to help me describe too.. (hope they work)

This is the culprit for my scrape.. Note the broken footpeg :(
So new footpegs... Recon they will end up anodised orange:cool:
Does the sprocket look ok? Not too worn? But i do need the nut..

Scraped Bar ends and handguards.. I guess i could just replace the barends..But the handguards will look tatty.. and that leads me onto the next question..

Obviously I'm not worried about the sticker.. But a replacment sticker wouldnt cover all the scratches.. So any advice on possibly sanding and polishing the plastics? This includes the handguards, and the tailtidy.. Or am I trying to be too cheap?

Anyway.. All this sorta stuff.. Where is the best place to get it.. Dont fancy paying my local KTM dealer £20,000,000 for parts and labour.. For it to fall off again!

Thanks again guys!

Oh and just one more for luck... :burnout:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Use loctite myself, I was surprised it wasn't a left hand thread...

Not sure if you could get a tab washer for them.... I seem to recollect my old 2 stroke had a better fixing method than my current 4 stroke (never been happy with it to be frank).

RTS

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and before i forget.. The strip and rebuild I'm planning.. It will be the first time I've tried anything like that before.. So I am looking for some useful info.. threads maybe..
I'm sure I've stumbled across a 'strip down + powdercoat the frame' thread before, But i cant find it.
I've found ADV forum very informative on many aspects of my bike.. Any other useful threads or links people can think of?
I will definatly be be writing up everything i do + pictures too... Theres something for other newbies like me to look forward to eh!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
i can't see your clutch slave cylinder in your photos, this can often be the cause of an oil leak after the chain has come off, the bolts sometimes cause a crack in the engine case if the chain has been in contact with the slave

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Had the same on my Duke a couple of years back.
Mine had just had a new chain and sprockets fitted and the sprocket came off,wedged and just snapped the chain,did mark up the casing though :hmh:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
glad its not to bad. if at the end of the rebuild you have bolt or two to much dont panic as you'll soon find where it goes. also your oil filter is a bit exposed without the cover/protector

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I have had this problem too 990 adventure r 2009, well not to the degree where it fell off but the nut had worked loose but because of the "tab washer" the nut was only moving back and forth, i had it also on 2 of my vstroms and again the tab washer was stopping it completely undoing, must be as the sprocket/output shaft spline wears with engine torque works it loose.
Moral of the story .....check your nuts regularly,better still get ya missus to do it :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts