KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m looking to get an enduro bike as a second bike so I can do some trail riding on the weekend and events with my old man, problem is a lot of these bikes have aggressive power to weight ratios and based on my license I cannot ride one with more than 0.2kw/kg.

I have been looking at 2009~ KTM 250 EXC-F, any idea what power these are putting out? Other bikes like Honda CRF250X and Yamaha WR250F are on the cards but they all seem a little tame.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m honestly getting close to saying sod it and riding what I want as it will be spending minimal time on the road.

Cheers

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think you might still be unlucky with the 250f. I had one before my 250f, and when I bought it I hadn't done my test. I was ~30 so the A2/A1 thing wasn't much of a consideration to me because I could just do the direct access, but not knowing if the A2 test was easier I did briefly look in to it. I think the carb'd 250fs were about 35hp. Even at 30hp it's only fractionally under the 0.2/kg. It's a bit strange with off road bikes, its really hard trying to find official power outputs. Only the mags seem to ever test/report.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you might still be unlucky with the 250f. I had one before my 250f, and when I bought it I hadn't done my test. I was ~30 so the A2/A1 thing wasn't much of a consideration to me because I could just do the direct access, but not knowing if the A2 test was easier I did briefly look in to it. I think the carb'd 250fs were about 35hp. Even at 30hp it's only fractionally under the 0.2/kg. It's a bit strange with off road bikes, its really hard trying to find official power outputs. Only the mags seem to ever test/report.
It is definitely odd this licensing thing. There are A2 restrictor kits for carburettor EXC 450’s which might be an idea. Plus with the paperwork if plod ever pull me over I could just show it. Also if I was to feel a little cheeky I could just pull it off and who would be any wiser.

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
I think you're about right with 33-35hp.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you there. I’m glad I got my license a long time ago. However, the feds didn’t quite feel I was a worthy holder of it so they took it away twice! Not good times. I put it down to bloody sports bikes and youthful exuberance. 🤣

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you there. I’m glad I got my license a long time ago. However, the feds didn’t quite feel I was a worthy holder of it so they took it away twice! Not good times. I put it down to bloody sports bikes and youthful exuberance. 🤣
twice! good lad, only once for me (for a year) 😁

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I can beat that, I got band three times, the second time I was 'pulled over' by a police helicopter.

I gave up riding on the road for a while and started road racing, then moved on to road racing sidecars.

Reactions: sand300 and Pindie

·
Registered
818 Posts
I must be too slow to get banned! Had possibly about 15 points over a few decades, maximum on the licence for a few months was 6, all were 3 points for speeding.
Dunno whether I could be arsed to pass my test these days, too many hoops to jump through... :(

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Only managed one disqual. for a period of 7 days. One incident of excessive speed, to be fair I was pushing on.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
My first was a case of totting up points. A few here, a few there. Banned. Next was a single act of speed. They’d moved the 30mph signs on a road I used to get home. Along I came on a lovely warm sunny day. Unknown to me I went past an unmarked car as I was slowing down. Trouble is this was now in the 30 limit and I was still in triple figures. The car never caught me as at the end of the village I hoofed it again- they saw this as doing a runner. I then went working abroad as I was a military lad back then. I knew nothing about the incident until I got a letter forwarded on to me whilst away saying about the “offence” and there was a warrant out for my arrest for missing court to add to the list- oops! I had to go and explain to my boss what had happened. Got a major bollocking. Got sent back to face the music and went to court- on the same bike🙈. Duty solicitor at the court wasn’t that helpful and felt I was probably going down! I shat myself. When I got my say in court I explained my job and they felt I was such a great enthusiastic young man they only banned me, fined me and sent me on my way. Riding away from the court was super scary and for months expected another letter! I went back abroad and the ban was done when I got back. Road bikes were over for me then.

I never got pulled over by a chopper though. That’s mega!🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I never got pulled over by a chopper though. That’s mega!🤣🤣
They scrambled the chopper because the copper on the bike had to give up the chase, his brakes over heated and faded. I was two up on an FZ 750. The copper on the bike was actually a decent bloke, he said that he had to report me because they had half of the Sussex force after me. It all started because I had 9 points and the bike cop spotted me crossing a white line to get through a traffic jam. I thought I'd got away with it all, I was waiting at a set of traffic lights and was thinking that I could hear a loud lawn mower, then from over the hedge the chopper appeared and just hovered over my head, my mates said I should have tried to out run it....yeah right!

It wasn't funny at the time (well my mates thought it was)....the stupidity of youth!

Reactions: sand300 and Pindie

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Never had speeding ticket on bike in UK but regularly contribute speed related tourist tax in France and Luxembourg.

Worst uk fine for me was "riding on pavement" when parking at Stratford upon a on.

Plod cunts would take about 20 bikers a week to court for bumping up kerb (to legally park) it was about 8 foot at 2mph.

Ignored letters and ended up with local plod trying to nab me as they had a warrant for my arrest.

Local plod was ok, told me they were a bunch of cunts and just did not like bikers making noise, speeding and doing wheelies - do just nicked a few well behaved easy to catch riders each week.

Of 6 bikes I was with only mine had legal size plate, local plod reckoned the CCTV probably could not read others or they would of nabbed one of them

Next stop was solicitor who said minor bylaw and no points, he too thought they were cunts but said represent myself as all they can do is give small fine.

Plod wonder why so many people hate them!

·
Registered
818 Posts
So does that mean, anyone who has a pavement in front of their house is breaking the law if they drive or ride on it to access their driveway? What about parking on pavements, it's been banned in some places, but in most it 'appears' to be legal as long as it isn't blocked. The do-gooders want all parking on pavements banned, but with no thought or solution as to where all these cars can park. These type of roads are generally narrow with terraced housing, and already have a serious parking crisis. For most people cars and vans are vital to earn a living.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts