KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[video=facebook;1959782712428]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1959782712428&comments&set=t.1180136449&type=1[/video]Hi Guys...I'm new here, Bought a brand new 11 plate 09 rc8 in March and absolutely love the bike, can't get enough of the look on my mates faces with all the attention i get :cool:

I had the bike round brand's indy twice now and found it to be an absolute beast however i took it to north weild airstrip the other day with my mate on his R1 for some 1/4 mile blasts and found off the line it was like a elastic band shaking its head deep in to secon - However.... as i hit 90'ish mph i felt a sudden lack of acceleration....The R1 was approaching rapidly and in a very disappointing manner passing me every time just before the end

The best time i ran was a 10.6 @133mph (stock bike) and my mate had a 10.46 @ 139mph!!!F**K(full leo vince 07) I know the difference is not much but i feel had it been a longer run I woulda been seriously put to shame as he passed me with great intent.

Now...there's plenty of grunt low down...is there any sprocket setup that will give me more whammy in the dead spot?? cheers.

[video=facebook;1959782712428]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1959782712428&comments&set=t.1180136449&type=1[/video]

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Not sure about set up but once you're over a 100 you deffinately get left behind by modern 1000s. I think the R is more of a match for them. On a trackday it's a dead heat down the start finish straight between me on my RC8 and my mate on his 900 blade, 04 or 05 plate.

I suppose you could always try changing a sproket but in general people change them the other way as it appaerntly helps smoothness.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Wow...6 more mph...WOW!

Don't forget its an IL4...with some ponies more than your 8

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
i cannot recall any R1 with over 190 Bhp.........so in the end there is less than 10 Bhp between an RC8 R with proper exhaust and an R1. So you are stating that at 100 Mph the R1 is still behind, then suddenly overtakes you?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have mates with all the assorted IL4 rubbish, once you get over the 110mph mark everyone of them will pull away from my "R", it is not a problem though, I normally lead the run and try not to go on any Motorways etc, we have a right craic taking the piss out of each other but they know deep down that in the real world you cannot beat a "V".

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I race the 155 rc8. We all know that that figure is not correct as they all produce 2-5 hp more. Same case for the 2009 R model. (surprisingly i use the R model for the road)

The slow one has been on the dyno after a couple of modifications, and has 149 Bhp at the back wheel. So it sould be close to 175 Bhp at the cranck. Give or take a few.

I do not doubt the times posted here, but to my guessing they more or less gently pass you, instead of swiftly overtake you. In a straight line i mean. On the twisties, its only the twins that can keep up, or the ocasionally SM rider!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Had one of those BMW1000RR things go past me on a fast straight the other day..... Man! Those things will piss past you no problem.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
those are fast........indeed, but the bike looks like a person that had a stroke:D

Reactions: InfiniteCharlie

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
For me they are a classic 'meh' bike. You look at it, along with all the other almost identical bikes, shrug your shoulders and think 'meh'.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
For me they are a classic 'meh' bike. You look at it, along with all the other almost identical bikes, shrug your shoulders and think 'meh'.
Exactly, you look at them and think "big deal", the prices on the jap stuff has shot up over the last year, the european manufacturers must be well pleased.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
TBH - my old CBR600 is more than adequate for my level of riding. I didn;t get the RC8 because I wanted the fastest, whizziest etc or because I was just too damn good for my bike.

I just really quite fancied getting it cos it looked and sounded really cool (shallow I know).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had one of those BMW1000RR things go past me on a fast straight the other day..... Man! Those things will piss past you no problem.

What a shame, it's so unfortuante that a BMW S1000RR will go past you in a straight line, but whilst your reading this please remember that "life is not a straight road, there are many twists and turns along the way" Taking this into account, the relevence of how fast a s1000rr is in a straight line is little, many a time a fat balding middle aged building contracter called dave has come past me on his 11 plate inline 4..... the look he gives you, that look of i just went past ! Now at this point the temptation too discuss the situation arises but i prefer to take a much more realistic approach and talk to the man, this is were dave looks silly, well done dave you have come past in a straight line, yep thats right a straight line, but remember when you learnt to ride the first thing we all did was learn how to go in a straight line, there for regardless of how macho dave thinks he is, the thing he and many inline 4 jap riders have only achieved is too do something that he did on the first day of riding a bike, so yes he did come past you but for him to be able to do that he used the thing called a throttle, not a hard skill to master ?

So you let all them inline 4 riders take there hollow victory, the meat head approach as i like to call it and let them discuss the pub top speed to each other and false brovado story's about how he went past that rc8 at 476 mph in 3rd gear on the back wheel and doing a stoppie at the same time...... Just remember that although your bike is not as fast as a inline 4 thousand, the brain power required to ride an inline 4 is 6% of your brains capacity and 1.34% of your talent (these figures are for a s1000rr rider) now i ask you where is the fun in that ? Next year i heard the s1000rr has gained 4786 BHP at the rear wheel with a special throttle that just turns for you via your bluetooth so all you got to do is sit onit........

The moral of the story is don't worry about the fact it's faster in a straight line, as it's not anything worth shouting about let's be honest anyway MCN ran a test around jerez when the s1000rr came out and for all the power and "going past like your stood still" it beat the rc8r by 0.05 of a second and here's another thought imagine if the rc8 had traction control.....so there will always be something faster in a straightline but it in the real world round your average british lanes the inline 4 thousands will struggle (rider exempt).....Let them come past you on the straight but how hard is that ?

Reactions: dregtv

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
What a shame, it's so unfortuante that a BMW S1000RR will go past you in a straight line, but whilst your reading this please remember that "life is not a straight road, there are many twists and turns along the way" Taking this into account, the relevence of how fast a s1000rr is in a straight line is little, many a time a fat balding middle aged building contracter called dave has come past me on his 11 plate inline 4..... the look he gives you, that look of i just went past ! Now at this point the temptation too discuss the situation arises but i prefer to take a much more realistic approach and talk to the man, this is were dave looks silly, well done dave you have come past in a straight line, yep thats right a straight line, but remember when you learnt to ride the first thing we all did was learn how to go in a straight line, there for regardless of how macho dave thinks he is, the thing he and many inline 4 jap riders have only achieved is too do something that he did on the first day of riding a bike, so yes he did come past you but for him to be able to do that he used the thing called a throttle, not a hard skill to master ?

So you let all them inline 4 riders take there hollow victory, the meat head approach as i like to call it and let them discuss the pub top speed to each other and false brovado story's about how he went past that rc8 at 476 mph in 3rd gear on the back wheel and doing a stoppie at the same time...... Just remember that although your bike is not as fast as a inline 4 thousand, the brain power required to ride an inline 4 is 6% of your brains capacity and 1.34% of your talent (these figures are for a s1000rr rider) now i ask you where is the fun in that ? Next year i heard the s1000rr has gained 4786 BHP at the rear wheel with a special throttle that just turns for you via your bluetooth so all you got to do is sit onit........

The moral of the story is don't worry about the fact it's faster in a straight line, as it's not anything worth shouting about let's be honest anyway MCN ran a test around jerez when the s1000rr came out and for all the power and "going past like your stood still" it beat the rc8r by 0.05 of a second and here's another thought imagine if the rc8 had traction control.....so there will always be something faster in a straightline but it in the real world round your average british lanes the inline 4 thousands will struggle (rider exempt).....Let them come past you on the straight but how hard is that ?
patronizing and informative!!!!!!!!nice one!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a video of this from Almeria that I'll dig out and post later. They are like fireworks absolutely nothing will live with it on the straights...

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have a video of this from Almeria that I'll dig out and post later. They are like fireworks absolutely nothing will live with it on the straights...
my zx7 will;)

i'm off to get my matchsticks out

1 - 20 of 35 Posts