KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

I found myself all kitted this morning and sitting on an Adv that could just about flutter its starter solenoid. Bother, thought I, I'll need the Optimate, which means I've got to drop the large plastic front bit on the floor and grovel around.

Then, inspiration! I thought, I've got that Optimate cigarette lighter thingy adapter that I never used before, I can just plug it in (minus the red bit) and all will be well!

Or not. Not at all, as the idiot cigarette lighter thingy adapter simply fell out of the accessory sockets, making not the slightest effort to make a contact. The previous owner had had two sockets fitted, on the right hand side of the bike on the rear quarter plastic, I suppose one for the rider and one for the pillion.

So, to the point of all this; how many different types of accessory socket are there for the Adv? What sort of plug do they take if the cigarette lighter thingy adapter doesn't fit?

Chris M

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it's not a standard ciggie lighter then it could be a powerlet outlet (but I'm pretty sure they're a smaller diameter than the standard outlet?).

To help stop this sort of thing happening again, maybe you could wire up a trickle charger? The bike only needs a hour or two each week to keep the battery topped up...

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's not a socket for a comms unit to plug into is it? Sounds suspiciously like it as there is one each for rider and pillion.:confused:

·
Registered
272 Posts
That is a Powerlet socket. If you intend to charge via this you need to check if it is switched by the ignition - It should be on all the time for you to charge overnight (i.e. not switched).

You can get a powerlet plug from ebay or do a google search and wire it up yourself. Just check which is the 12v connector!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah so? If I take off the rear quarter panel, I should then have access to the sockets and with some pliers make certain adjustments?

Chris M

·
Registered
790 Posts
View attachment 4329

Thumb is there to hold open the little cover, to allow my arm to be used as a rest for the camera and ... well, it's got to be somewhere...
Chris,

If it is a powerlet socket then it may well be connected directly to the battery. Lift your saddle and have a look.
You need one of the on your charger cable and plug into the socket on your bike, no need for the ignition to be switched on.
These are available from your local truck spare part supplier.(24volt plug)

R:smokin:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just remembered your battery is at the front of the engine not under the saddle. ooooops
Have a look at the battery anyway, if your saying it has 2 new outlets then it should have two extra cables with fuse holders connected to the battery.

Your cigarette lighter attachment might be able to spin the end off and adapt to that type of socket.
Just like this.

R:666:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh joy! By reading the combined expertise on here, I was able to use certain tools to affect the central clip such that the Optimate cigarette lighter thingy adapter now fits!! I thought, there's the end of worrying about duff batteries when She Who Must Be Obeyed demands the space in what I used to think was my garage...

But no, the damnable things are switched, and therefore I can't use the Optimate cigarette lighter thingy adapter to any effect whatsoever, at least not without trawling through the wiring (and taking the pannier racks off, and dismantling the bike to find the uniformly black wiring and its destinations...). Bugger.

Plan B.

Dismantle bottom of bike to fit Optimate flying lead to battery and then route socket end to somewhere where I can get at it and yet it remains not entirely soaking. Any favoured routes for this?

Chris M

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Just put it inside the cubby box with the wiring going from the battery up under the fuse box where it goes to the female bit. If you need a female side,Halfrauds sell them(both the male and female bit) for £3.05 or something like that but i must add that there are better ones out there.
If you run 30amp wiring from the battery up to behind the headlight,you can use it as a direct feed to quite a few things but do ensure you fuse it just before any additions dependant on what amp fuse is required.This is how i power a few things on my bike as well as the charger which i have perhaps used 3 times since the bike was new(6yrs).

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If both are switched it means the non-switched lead behind the headlight is still unused so run the lead from there or fit another small ciggie lighter to the dash to the top-right of the rev counter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PLan B was acted upon a couple of nights ago, by taking the flying lead supplied with the Optimate and routeing it out to the front crash bar. This thing has a chunky water-resistant cover on it and with the aid of one or two cable-ties I got it reasonably securely fixed. Yesterday it got tested by me hammering back down the M40 from Leamington to Reading in the pouring rain. All well, no nasty short circuits, although I'm tempted to fill the socket with Vaseline to keep it from filling with anything else,

Chris M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts