KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several threads on fuel pumps and talking to people I am now quite confused and in need of some "basic" help.

1. Is the fuel pump internal of external to the tank?
2. Is it different to the 950 diaphram pump?
3. I have been quoted £350 for a new one - where can you get it cheaper?
4. Are there any alternatives?
5. I was told that the pump had a dead spot which would mean it wont start again if it lands on there again - sound right?

Thanks for you help with this. Bike only has 8k on the clocks :(

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
1,Iinside the tank.
2,Different.
3,No idea.
4,No idea but if you do find one(external) you will have to blank off the hole where the pump goes(aqualine should have these since they sell the 950/950 tank but the 950 tank comes with a blanking plate if i recall correctly.
5,No idea but if this is the case then it is simply a shit pump!!
PS,if i recall correctly,a lot of people with the 990 pump were experiencing problems with a filter on it. It should be done at a service if i remember rightly although dont take that as 100% correct.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep that helps - thanks.

So in summary the 990 fuel pump is shite, very expensive and difficult to replace! Great :)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
After reading several threads on fuel pumps and talking to people I am now quite confused and in need of some "basic" help.

1. Is the fuel pump internal of external to the tank?
2. Is it different to the 950 diaphram pump?
3. I have been quoted £350 for a new one - where can you get it cheaper?
4. Are there any alternatives?
5. I was told that the pump had a dead spot which would mean it wont start again if it lands on there again - sound right?

Thanks for you help with this. Bike only has 8k on the clocks :(
1. Internal. It kinda has to be. Otherwise you have to faff around with a return line to the tank. (EFI systems usually always maintain pressure by the pump flowing more fuel than demanded by the motor). Being immersed in fuel also helps cool the pump.
2. Yes. Very different. Again, because of the EFI
3. No Idea.
4. Im not sure if there are non-genuine replacement pumps that are cheaper
5. Sounds like bollocks. Ive never heard anything like that before.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Just to add,since the pump needs to be kept immersed,best keep the tank above 1/4 empty to prevent it getting too hot too frequently?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Just to add,since the pump needs to be kept immersed,best keep the tank above 1/4 empty to prevent it getting too hot too frequently?
There seems to be a correlation of the pump getting too hot - with blocked fuel filters...
Pump working too hard - not shifting enough liquid to cool itself - and not immersed in liquid to cool itself... ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts